Dental Health Forum

Geographic Tongue

Is it possible that geographic tongue can be a side effect from taking Protonix (Pantoprazole Sodium) delayed release tablets?
I did some reseach and could find no indication that geographic tongue was caused by this medication.
Thank you for your reponse. I guess anything such as stress or a cold could cause it then?
i have a geographic tongue, is there any treatment available? what causes it?
I've discovered a great "band-aid" for those of you that experience discomfort with geographic tongue.  Mix equal parts of liquid Maalox and liquid Benadryl, swish in mouth for 60 - 90 seconds and spit.  The Maalox creates a coating over the sores and the Benadryl numbs the pain.  For best results don't eat or drink anything for at least 30 minutes after.  For me, I think it helps my sores to heal faster.  I also just read that this disorder is more common in women and hormones tend to play a role in breakouts.  Good luck to you and let's all hope they find a cure for this annoying and uncomfortable disorder soon!
I am a sufferer of geographic tongue with generally mild symptoms. I have no remedies to offer but I would like to add my anecdotal information in hopes that it may be helpful. I have read that geographic tongue is more common in adults and that it is more frequent in people who have psoriasis (runs in my family) and also in women. I have also read about a connection between stress, vitamin B deficiency and illnesses as factors. My experience is that stress seems to play a major role. A stressed person is less likely to have proper levels of vitamins and is more likely to get sick. I think that during stressful times when I am sleeping, I am injuring my tongue by pressing it against my teeth. Especially in the initial stages of an episode of geographic tongue, I can match the damaged areas to my teeth on the sides and where the tip and middle of the tongue may have been raked against my front teeth. Pressure against the front teeth may also explain the fissures that develop on my tongue. Once the damage is done, the tongue is open for further damage from acidic foods like orange juice or opportunistic pathogens.

Does this make sense to anyone else?
HI I HAVE A TYPICAL CASE OF GT FOR ABOUT A 1YR 1/2. AT FIRST I DID'NT KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON BUT I LOOKED UP THE SYMPTOMS AND DISCOVERED I HAVE GT. THEN I SAID WELL ITS NOTHING THIS CAN BE CURED ONLY TO FIND OUT THEY HAVE NO CURE. THIS IS VERY UNCOMFORTABLE BEING THAT I AM A VERY TALKATIVE PERSON.I DID FIND A POTENTIAL REMEDY. IF ANY ONE HAS READ THE BOOK TONGUE SECRETS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I WANT TO KNOW IF IT REALLY WORKS. I HOPE THEY FIND A CURE SOON .
A related discussion, gt was started.
A related discussion, Curing Geographic Tongue was started.
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.