Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Community
7.49k Members

Geographic tongue

Hello everyone I have some questions that none seems to be able answear...i've been sufering from geographic tongue (bald patches on surface of tongue) my main concern is: I don't know if these patches are like open windows for other infections to go in like cuts or open sores I don't want to put my self at risk for any other diseases specialy during oral sex...thank u so much for taking the time to read my posts
2 Responses
745634 tn?1243723447
Geographic tongue has no real secondary issues.  However, when talking about oral sex, your mouth is one big open wound.  The tissues in the mouth have the best absorption in the body.  Blood and other fluids get into the body extremely quickly through the mouth, nothing will protect you from that.
I've been trying to find other people with geographic tongue, lately no luck. If you are still reading this thread, does your geographic tongue brush off when you use a toothbrush or tongue brush on it? I got the fungal swab by a doc who said mine isn't thrush/candida, and that it looks like geographic tongue. I just want to confirm with someone else that theirs brushes off too.

Also, that comment up there about the mouth being a big open wound... nuh uh, keep in mind that the mouth and the nose are the first line of defense for the body. Mucus neutralizes a lot of things. As well, your mouth is the start of your digestive system, it gets to work fast and dissolves things that enter it very quick.
Have an Answer?
Top Dental Answerers
taipei, Taiwan
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.