A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Community
7.46k Members

Gingivitis

Hi,

I have bad gingivitis. Actually,I have beyond gingivitis. I have periodontitis,too. Anyway,my gums bleed in my sleep. Have any of you ever gone through that? And if so,did you discover any products that aren't too expensive that helped? Other than Colgate,Crest or any other Proctor and Gamble products that is. I don't buy their products because I've read that they test on animals.

Michelle
1 Responses
Do you know for sure if you have Periodontitis??? Do you get your teeth cleaned on a regular basis? And most importantly...do you floss at least once/day (curving the floss in a "c" shape around your tooth once you've "sawed" the floss gently between your teeth) and brush at least twice per day (angling your bristles of your SOFT toothbrush at a 45 degree angle towards your gums?) If you simply have gingivitis you can remedy this problem in 7 - 10 days. If you have Periodontitis then you may need Quad Scales (Deep Cleaning with local anesthesia) and then put on a regular recall of 3 - 4 months to keep it under control. In our office we prescribe Metronidazole to Perio patients which can help dramatically with the inflammation. When you see the Dentist they should take special measurements around all of your teeth called Perio Probing...this helps determine the level Periodontitis if it exists and also X-rays are quite helpful as well as they show bone level. As far as which toothpastes to use...it's really all in the mechanical action (brushing/flossing). Toothpaste doesn't clean your teeth brushing and flossing does (though the fluoride in the paste is great for your teeth). Also if you've been under a lot of stress lately you could have something called ANUG (Acute Necrotizing Ulcerative Gingivitis)...to clear up...make sure you get routine "cleanings", brush/floss correctly and you can get a Chlorhexadine Rinse from your Dentist which can help with the healing. But Please Please do floss...this is one thing I find most of my patients just don't do...it's important because not flossing is equivalent to not brushing about 1/3 of each tooth...the bacteria that grows under the gums thrives of having no oxygen and if you disrupt it once daily then it can not organize and cause the damage. Waterpiks WITH flossing are great too to introduce oxygen (from the water) under the gums :)
I know this is long-winded but I don't know your exact situation so I tried to cover it all :) Please feel free to ask anything else!

-Jessica, Registered Dental Hygienist
Have an Answer?
Top Dental Answerers
taipei, Taiwan
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.