Dental Health Community

Hidden Abscess

I Have neglected my teeth for a while, and am in the process of getting them all fixed.  I had a bunch a cavities filled, scaling, root planning, preventative root canal (tooth was not abscessed) with crown. I still need 2 crowns upper right, and one crown lower right with a few more cavities filled.  My dentist says there is no signs of dental abscess, but I have been having a lot of bad symptoms that seem to be getting worse.  I feel really ill all the time.  All my teeth hurt, It comes, and goes for what seems like no reason at all. My face feels tight, and puffy sometimes. My eyes burn. I get headaches, and sensitivity to light.  Its like my whole face is on fire, and my mouth is going to explode. I think I have a serious problem that is being blown off as cavities.  I have had many cavities, wisdom teeth extracted, periodontal grafts, root canals, and nothing compares to the pain, and general ill feeling I have right now. I have been seeing my dentist for a long time, and I trust his opinion. This problem is not just cavities. I also get this nasty puss taste in my mouth, and I have this lump on the roof of my mouth that feels like it swells up sometimes. It is off to the right of my hard palate above the gum line. It looks red and swollen. It is in the same general area of the two upper teeth that I need crowned.  I have had those teeth X-rayed, and there was no abscess.   I had a hole in my heart closed in august 2009 and I take preventative antibiotics for all my dental work because of risk of infection.  I have been having these kinds of symptoms since November 2009.  I am worried I have a dental infection spreading  from neglected dental work, that was complicated by a mis-diagnosis. Sorry for dragging this on, and on.
Does a tooth abscess ever not show up on a X-ray?

I have felt terrible sense November 2009
No one has done a single thing that has helped me

List of doctors I have seen
GCP
Cardiologist
Neuerololgist
2nd  opinion from new Nuerologist on April 26th
ENT
Eye Doctor
Dentist
Endodontist

List Of Tests Taken
2 MRI
CT Scan
              MRA
4 Rounds Of Blood Tests
EEG
3 TCD
3 Echo’s
TEE
Kings Heart Monitor
Holter Monitor

Hole in Heart Completely Closed
The only med I am taking is Asprin 325mg a day which I am supposed to be reducing to 81mg

I still get one sided numbness, and stroke like symptoms.  My nuero thinks its migraines.  That is weird because I did not have migraines before they closed the whole in my heart.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Soft tissue abscess may not be present on x-ray, but can be easily seen clinically. If your doctors can not identify the presence of abscess, it's probably not present.
Part of your symptomatology does suggest migraine. Seeing an orofacial pain specialist is advised.
How would it be seen easily?  What would the symptoms be for a soft tissue abscess?  I have a appointment with the my dentist next tuesday, and I plan on asking him about my symptoms.  There is something really bad going on in my mouth, and I thought with all the X-rays and dental work I have had done somebody would have found something by now.  The other symptoms I can handle, and am working on with my doctors, but these mouth symptoms are terrible.  I will see what he says it may be time for a second opinion.  I have been dealing with these symptoms for so long I don't even know what to do anymore.  It is like being stuck between a dental, and medical problem that no one can figure out.