Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

I have been referred to Endodontist for Root Canal

I'm a 48 year old in good health with regular dental visits and good brushing habits.

A molar (upper, 2nd from back of mouth) gave me some pain this weekend while drinking coffee.
I saw my dentist this morning and he prescribed a course of penicillin.
There was no obvious outward signs of infection and an x-ray barely showed decay or abscess and just at the tip.
This molar has amalgam fillings.  
I'm scheduled for a cleaning and X-rays in November.

I would, due to no insurance and little money coming in at this time,
to watch and wait, then and follow up with an inspection of the tooth again in six months.

It is my understanding that a root canal too, has its own list of risks and side effects.

Is there any "Best Practice" of monitoring such a tooth, if a patient is currently unable to afford a procedure?

Thanks for any information you may be able to provide.

1 Responses
540545 tn?1377626518
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
There isn't any best way to monitor a tooth besides following up on the recommended 6 months of periodic checkups.  You will just have to keep an eye on it yourself and if you notice any changes or symptoms in that tooth, you should go back to your dentist to have it re-evaluated to determine the necessary treatment at the time.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.