Dental Health Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Incisor pain after being punched.

In December of 2008 (or was it 2007?  probably 2008) I was out at a bar and got elbowed in the face, specifically just to the right of my nose.  By the next morning I had a black eye, and 3 or 4 of my teeth - the incisors and the canine - were hurting; they had a throbbing, sore pain, not the kind of pain that you experience when you have a cavity.

I went to the dentist, told him the story, and he did a couple tests (cold test, etc) and said that my teeth were fine.  Most of the pain subsided within a few days.

After two months, the pain was completely gone, but there were still three problems, both effecting only my most front-right incisor:  1) if I tap on the tooth, it feels different.  2)  If I bend down and turn my head upside down, as if to touch my toes, I feel a sensation that I can only describe as "blood pooling / going to my tooth".  3)  If I press on the right side of my face, next to my nose, where I was hit, it also doesn't feel right.

So I went to my doctor, he checked for a broken bone in my face (though he did not do an x-ray), and said I was fine.

Now it has been over a year since this happened, and lately, as I stretch quite often, the odd sensations / feelings are happening more often.  I have no idea what to call this, or how to research it, as I have such vague definitions of I feel.

I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction so that I can seek better help.  I want to take care of this before it becomes worse of a problem.

4 Responses
540545 tn?1377626518
Have you gone to a medical doctor to get it checked out?  I was thinking it may be a sinus problem and that's why as the fluids move around in your sinus, it creates pressure but I'm not sure exactly.  You may want to go to an oral surgeon if you already went to a medical doctor.
Avatar universal
Sorry for the confusion - I did go to a medical doctor to get it checked out.  He did not perform any xrays, though after "feeling around" he determined that there was no broken bone.

Would you recommend that I go back to my MD and ask for xrays to be performed, or that I go to an oral surgeon and explain my problem to her?

Thank you
540545 tn?1377626518
I would recommend going to an oral surgeon to get it checked out.  You can also ask the oral surgeon in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery section of this website to see if he recommends the same thing.
Avatar universal
A related discussion, Canine pain when touching upper face near nose was started.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.