Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
6529153 tn?1415278338

Is a temporary crown supposed to hurt?

I had a small crack in a molar that was more of an annoyance than painful.  The dentist said the tooth looked fine on the x-ray and all it needed was a crown. Easy peasy he said.  So, they did their thing and put a temporary crown on.  It's been 7 days and it's been hurting ever since, much worse than the cracked tooth did.  It has lessened somewhat, but eating on that side is impossible.  It hurts my gums to floss around it, but brushing is OK. I don't feel any "zings", it's just an ache whenever I bite down on anything.  It hurts the most when I wake up, I'm assuming from clenching my teeth while I sleep.  I've been taking motrin/tylenol around the clock and the pain does subside as long as I don't chew on that side. I know they did a lot of prep work on the tooth, but is it supposed to hurt off and on like this??  I wasn't given any instructions....   I have another 2 weeks until the permanent should be in.  
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
370181 tn?1595629445
The word that has been "starred out" was NOT a swear word.
Helpful - 0
370181 tn?1595629445
Responding to your question depends quite a bit on YOUR definition of pain. What could be painful to you, may just be a mild discomfort to someone else.
I have had quite a few crowns and my experience with each of them has been different.
I did have one that caused quite a lot of pain all the time and my dentist had me come back in. He removed the temp and did some "fine tuning" on it and the problem was solved.  
Being a teeth clincher myself, I can definitely tell you that doing that on a temp crown can bring on some eye watering pain.
I would advise discussing this with your dentist since you still have nearly 2 weeks to wait for the permanent crown.
Crowns can cause a great deal of discomfort, but they shouldn't cause pain.
I really wish you luck. Tooth pain *****!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Community

Top Dental Answerers
taipei, Taiwan
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.