Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Is it OK to place dental implants?

A short time ago my braces were removed. On the place where one tooth was missing, they placed a Maryland Bridge. I preferred a dental implant, but they said I could better wait a while because of my age. I am a 17 year old boy. The missing tooth I am talking about is located in the upper jaw between the front and the canine tooth on the (from my perspective) left side.

I had the following questions:
My teeth would be able to change position in a couple of years, what would cause my implant to have a different position compared to my other teeth. But I am wearing a retainer every night to keep my teeth in place. With that retainer, my teeth can't change position, can they?
If I would be fully grown, I could place a dental implant. How do I know if I am fully grown?
When I would decide to place a dental implant, could I replace it if it doesn't look good anymore because I placed it too early?
What would happen in the worst case if I decide to place a implant? Can it really do that much harm?
The reason I would prefer to place a dental implant already is because I am scared that my Maryland Bridge will break (I am really careful while eating and brushing my teeth because it broke earlier) and according to my orthodontist the bone on a place where the tooth is missing will disappear more and more. If I would place it right now, I could immediately place it. If I wait longer I need a bone graft.
1 Responses
COMMUNITY LEADER
24 years old is considered skeletal maturity for male in general. Seeing an implantologist to evaluate your dentition is advised. No need to worry falling off Maryland bridge, if it comes out, the worst scenario is recementation, no big deal.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Community

Top Dental Answerers
taipei, Taiwan
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.