Is it normal for a crown to be sensitive and painful for a while?

I chipped my tooth while eating a couple months back.. I experienced no pain with it..  I went to the dentist and he said it was going to require a crown.  It is the second tooth on the bottom left.  After they drilled it down to put the temp crown on it became very sensitive which I thought was normal as basically all I had was a stump of a tooth left.  I did fine with my temp crown and got my permanent one on a month ago but I am having alot of sensitivity to cold and it still hurts some when I chew with that tooth.  It doesn't wake me up hurting or anything but it is painful during eating and drinking during the day.  Is that normal?  Will it go away?  Thanks!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
nightguard is only needed if you are a grinder/clincher
Helpful - 0
sounds like your bite is off.. you should go back and have them adjust your bite...scottma doesnt put it in term that the normal person could understand
Helpful - 0
my crown (metal) took 6 months to settle - unusual because i have 3 others and they were fine within days. go easy on the tooth, eat softer foods. i also wear a mouthguard at night to reduce the pressure of my nightbite. good luck...
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
Your descriptions suggest occlusal interfernce introduced by new restoration. Going back to your restorative dentist to have more occlusal adjustment is advised.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Community