Dental Health Community

Labor Day weekend, abscess tooth, what to do in the meantime?

It started on Thursday, when I took a nap and woke up with a mild, general tooth pain in a lateral incisor, and had slightly affected my central incisor. I thought I had been grinding my teeth in my sleep, as I often do, so I swished around warm salt water, took a Tylenol, and called it a day.

Friday, it was more prominent but not painful or obstructive. I did notice a numbness in my upper lip, and it was a tad swollen.I went out and bought Sensodyne for my tooth pain, thinking that it was just sensitive from grinding it in my sleep the previous day. It didn't start to get my attention until 6 in the evening, after my dentist's hours had closed. I took more Tylenol, applied some Orajel, and called it a day.

Saturday morning, I wake up early (5:30am) and my entire left cheek is swollen. I did some search on the internet, and I'm pretty sure it's an infection due to an abscessed tooth. I called my dentist, and with no surprise, they are closed, as it's Labor Day weekend. I found out I can't get an appointment until TUESDAY.

In the meantime, I am placing warm salt water in the area of my incisors every hour, switching between two ice packs every 15 minutes, eating soft foods, and taking amoxicillin. I had just taken my second dose of it today, and plan to take my last one for the day in about 8 hours. I am hoping that the amoxicillin and warm salt water will help with keeping the infection under control. I hope I am doing enough until Tuesday.

With that said, I need your help. Is there anything else I can do in the meantime? I'm thinking more, over-the-counter things, as I feel already feel like a liability, being a dependent on my parents, so urgent care isn't a priority to me unless it's absolutely necessary. Please let me know if I'm doing enough!

Thanks in advanced!
COMMUNITY LEADER
Seeing an endodontist or GP for emergency endodontist treatment is advised, if tooth is salvageable.if no dentist accepts emergency visit, you may go to hospital or dental school.