Dental Health Community

Medications for an immediately untreatable abscess

I would like to safely get rid of an infection (abscess tooth).  I am strongly considering getting antibiotics online.  I do not have dental or med insurance and con not yet afford to have any work done on it… not for about 2 months (from a financial standpoint)   I was recently hospitalized because of this, the swelling and pain was severe, but the antibiotics prescribed never fully got rid of the infection.  They helped and reduced the swelling about 90% but it never fully went away and now it appears to be worsening again.  (One month has gone by)  I was given Penicillin vk 500mg 4x a day for 10days, then I was given Clindamycin 450mg every 6 hours and levofloxacin 500mg taken daily.  I cannot have work done on the tooth until the infection is gone, and I can't keep going to the dr or hospital w/out med insurance.  I've done extensive research and am wondering about combination therapy of amoxil and flagyl.  Despite having it prescribed, I’m cautious about using a clindamycin sub because I have ulcerative colitis. I did not have a negative side effect relating to colitis while on it, but it does scare me.  My Q. is... If I were to pursue this... How often should I take the meds and for how long?  Additionally... if there is a better recommendation, I would certainly welcome it.

Thank you kindly,

Jay
A tooth abscess is a complication of tooth decay. There is sharp shooting pain when chewing. Antibiotics and warm salt-water rinses may be soothing. Over-the-counter pain relievers may relieve the toothache and fever. Prompt treatment can save the tooth and a root canal may be recommended in an attempt to save the tooth. Untreated abscesses may get worse and can lead to life-threatening complications. You have already been taking antibiotics but the symptoms have worsened so you may need draining of the abscess and using antibiotics to treat non-serious infections and for a prolonged period can make them less effective at treating more serious infections causing antibiotic resistance. Amoxicillin is drug of choice.Metrogyl can be used as an alternative drug. Discuss your concerns with your dentist. Do write to me again.
Best luck and regards!