Dental Health Community

Mouth Abscess

Wondering if anyone can help me please, I've had an abscess above my tooth now for the past 2 days and I've been to the doctor today and he's put me on a course of antibiotics called ERYTHROPED A. I'm also taking Codeen to help ease the pain.
The antibiotics don't seem to be doing anything at the moment, I began taking them around 6pm today when I got in from the doctor.
I have two questions: Will my tooth have to be removed and how long does an Abscess usually last for?
The dentist will give you two choices: Either pull the tooth or save the tooth by getting a root canal.
I had same thing, & had root canal yesterday.  The infection is out of too t h, but still in sinus & upper inside of cheek, very painful.  How will infection get out of my system without drainage?  I've read, they can be very dangerous.  Please help!