Mouth Abscess

Wondering if anyone can help me please, I've had an abscess above my tooth now for the past 2 days and I've been to the doctor today and he's put me on a course of antibiotics called ERYTHROPED A. I'm also taking Codeen to help ease the pain.
The antibiotics don't seem to be doing anything at the moment, I began taking them around 6pm today when I got in from the doctor.
I have two questions: Will my tooth have to be removed and how long does an Abscess usually last for?
The dentist will give you two choices: Either pull the tooth or save the tooth by getting a root canal.
I had same thing, & had root canal yesterday.  The infection is out of too t h, but still in sinus & upper inside of cheek, very painful.  How will infection get out of my system without drainage?  I've read, they can be very dangerous.  Please help!

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Community