Dental Health Community

NUMB CHIN AND LOWER LIP

HAD LOWER LEFT WISDOM TOOTH OUT TUESDAY AND NOW IT IS SEVEN DAYS LATER AND STILL HAVE LEFT LOWER LIP AND LEFT SIDE OF CHIN NUMBNESS AND FRONT LOWER TEETH AND GUM ON INSIDE ALSO..GOING BACK TO ORAL SURGEON ON THURSDAY TO SEE WHAT HE SAYS..ALSO ALTHOUGH THERE IS THE NUMBNESS I HAVE PERIODIC ITCHING FEELING AND CRAWLEY FEELINGS IN MY CHIN AND LIP, DOES THIS MEAN I HAVE INFERIOR ALVELOAR NERVE DAMAGE..WILL IT GET BETTER  IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN TAKE TO HELP THIS SITUATION..THANKS FOR THE HELP
COMMUNITY LEADER
Seeing a neurologist is advised.
I know exactly what you're going through.   When I had my wisdom teeth taken out 15 years ago I remember the annoying numbness and that itchy, crawly feeling in the chin and lip!   However the numbness does go away........I think mine took a few weeks before everything returned to normal.    But it did return to normal.   And I was told back then that the feelings you're having are quite normal and it's the nerves recovering from the minor surgery that's taken place in your mouth.   My bottom lip also had a burning sensation for a few weeks afterwards but it does go away.   I was so sure back then that the surgeon must have severed nerves and ruined me for life but this of course was not the case and I'm sure it will be same for you.

Hope this helps.  I know it's easy to say but give it time and be patient.
Thank you for your  words of comfort..I am so glad to hear your numbness wasnt permanent.  I am so worried that mine won't come back, but I am a worry wart...!  I go to the Surgeon tomorrow to see what he has to say about all of it..that should be interesting.   I will post back and let everyone know what he says...I hope I don't freeze and just let him run over me..without getting information I need.  Thanks again for words.
Well went to OS today and he said that my nerve was located exceptionally high and that my nerve was bruised or hurt because of that..he said that it might take 6 months to 1 yr. to heal and he didnt know how much healing there would be hard to say..but he felt good that it would just take time..he said I had a 2% chance it wouldnt heal..and that he would need me to come in every 6 wks to check my progress..that was it oh except he said I would get use to it.. and that I should take advil for the pain..he was just matter of fact and not to apologetic..I then called my regular dentist and went over report with him and he just said the same thing , that i t was just bad luck and not usual thing that happens.. said it was not often and he was very sorry it happened.  But time would hopefully heal me...so I guess I am in for a long wait or a wait who knows how long..he did say  I could go ahead with the two root canals I need so I guess when I get my nerve up I will do that, but that will take awhile for my nerves to get over this and trust another dentist.. my dentist said root canals are not near as envasive as wisdom teeth surgery so I hope he is right...thanks again to the responses...and hope that everyone out there gets 100% and me too...
I am absolutely sure that you will be fine in a few weeks.   I know exactly what you're going through.   What you described in your original letter is the same as what I felt with the itchy crawly feeling.    You feel like it's driving you crazy because you can't feel that area to be able to fix it because of the numbness.  Remember though that you've had minor surgery on a part of your body where nerves have been upset, and like every surgery, you have to let the body heal itself.    All of a sudden you will wake up and realize that you have a tiny little bit more sensation than you did the day before, and then the next week it will feel like a tiny bit more has come back, and so on and so on.   It takes time but the body is a very complex machine.   Remember.....the itchy crawly feeling is a good sign!   I'll be very interested to hear your progress.
Can you tell me how long it was until you regained your feeling completely?  I sure appeciate your post, it made me feel better, really..a person needs all the positive result stories they can read..  So it made me feel a lot better..it has been twelve days with no change, but I think the worst of it is my teeth in front feel like they are being squeezed together all the time and that drives me crazy..but hopefully like you say I will wake up one day and it will be better...Thanks again for the post..