Dental Health Community

NUMB CHIN AND LOWER LIP

HAD LOWER LEFT WISDOM TOOTH OUT TUESDAY AND NOW IT IS SEVEN DAYS LATER AND STILL HAVE LEFT LOWER LIP AND LEFT SIDE OF CHIN NUMBNESS AND FRONT LOWER TEETH AND GUM ON INSIDE ALSO..GOING BACK TO ORAL SURGEON ON THURSDAY TO SEE WHAT HE SAYS..ALSO ALTHOUGH THERE IS THE NUMBNESS I HAVE PERIODIC ITCHING FEELING AND CRAWLEY FEELINGS IN MY CHIN AND LIP, DOES THIS MEAN I HAVE INFERIOR ALVELOAR NERVE DAMAGE..WILL IT GET BETTER  IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN TAKE TO HELP THIS SITUATION..THANKS FOR THE HELP
im in the same boat and in a panic
Hi blessed2bme52,
I received your private message and thanks so much for responding to my question.
So good to hear you continue to improve after 3 years now which gives each of us hope that we may share your path of recovery over time.

Thanks again for visiting this forum after so much time has elapsed from your injury.  This input is vital to those with long term injury to the nerve because likely the vast majority with this injury fall away from reporting any incremental progress because they personally have attained a high level of healing whereby this injury is no longer such a burden.

My personal thanks for your selfless reporting which is so important to add some clarity to those who desperately want to better understand their future by example.

Continued healing and be well blessed2beme...
Hi all
Not been on for a while, but just to say after 2 years since ian injury I am much better and don't think about it very often. Never thought I would be able to say this. Take care it does get better. Xx
Hi Everyone. I'm in the same boat as you all. I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed a week ago and have numbness, tingling, pain, and more on the right side of my chin, lower lip, and gums / teeth. My smile is crooked now as well.

My question for you all is, how long does it take you to continue with your normalcy? For example, I find it difficult to brush my teeth because I can't feel the toothbrush on my teeth and gums. It's difficult to eat because I can barely feel the food in my mouth. Do you get used to that and work around it? Is it always frustrating to do formerly basic tasks? Will I regain enough cheek muscles to smile normally?
I suppose the best response is...resumption of normalcy is dependent on the magnitude of injury to your nerve, your age and health...latter influences your bodies' ability to heal itself.
So no roadmap for each of us as it turns out which makes recovery so unsettling.  Some will recover quickly and completely, and some like myself may never recovery fully...I am still have dysesthesia I have adjusted to after two years...however you will achieve enough recovery to get on with life with less upset over time.  You may achieve complete recovery in less than 6 months as well...so keep this hope until you have to move the goal posts over time.

Your question is the signature question everybody wants to know...and there isn't a doctor on the planet smart enough to answer it as it turns out based upon current technology.

So frustration to perform former tasks will lessen with time and honestly you won't need any workarounds over time...even those with pronounced injury like myself can resume life normally only with adjustment in sensation.

My advice which I try to live by is...always choose hope in replacement of fear when it comes to not knowing the future...a metaphor for life really.

Even though days directly ahead may be dark...or not...my early days were...you will come through this tunnel of uncertainty and be OK.  Please be assured of that.

Best to all.
PS: so great to learn you are feeling well Kazlilly.  Wonderful to hear and thanks for letting us know.
Hi everyone! Sorry that it's been awhile since I last updated but I "celebrated" 3 years this past February. I was reading what blessed2bme52 wrote on April 21 and it is almost exactly what I still am feeling!! To start with, I go through everyday barely thinking of my injury, that is until I purposely move my mouth around to check how much has healed. This is when I come to realize that although I've come a very long way, and have healed a tremendous amount, things still don't feel 100% right. Like blessed2bme52 said, it too is all centered on my lower canine tooth. Sometimes I feel like I wish I can have that tooth removed as it may relieve the pressure I still have. I am no longer really numb, but it feels different than the normal side. Even though the core numbness went away, I never fully regained back the feeling on my lip that causes tickles, and that is where the discrepancies between the two sides truly lie. It basically feels a little dead on the injured side, yet it detects any object on it and feels temperature, weird. I still haven't grasped how to really explain this, especially to someone who doesn't have this injury, but hopefully this makes sense to all here. I also want to mention that I still occasionally have bitten the inner gum on my injured side when I eat. Doesn't happen often but maybe once every 5 months or so. It's kinda cool that the pain is minimal when it turns into a canker sore (compared to how it would be hurting on my healthy side), but what I do notice is that when this happens, the area becomes tighter and bothers me to a greater extent. The minute the gum heals, the tightness wears off a bit and things go back to feeling more comfortable. Odd, but it happens each time. I'd love to hear if this happens to anyone else. All in all though, things are better and I do go through my life now without thinking much about what happened to me. However, I do wish I would have healed 100% now after 3 years and 3 months. I still have hope that maybe one day I will be back to feeling fully normal :) I hope everyone has enjoyed reading my posts and that they have helped you in your own recovery process. Please stay strong as things do get better! XOXO
Anybody still out here?
i feel like i am late to reach out for this site but i have been having lower lip tightness since almost 3 years and i still hope for possible alternatives for recovery
I just had the tooth Next to the lower left wisdom tooth extracted today... I had the one inside that tooth extracted back in April..  I still have the wisdom tooth... It stands alone!   They both were chipped playing rugby and finally became abcessed.  I have had numb feeling in my chin and lower lip since the first extraction.  thank god for this forum so at least I know other people have experienced what I am going through.   I describe it as "tiny dull explosions" when I poke my chin or lower lip..  
I have just read through all 852 answers. Such an awesome read for someone newly dealing with this! All of your insight and experience has been helpful. I am hoping I have lucked out as I  am two weeks post extraction  and already have feeling I'm my lip and most of my chin. I can feel hot and cold too. The skin on my chin and lip is still quite sensitive to the touch and I am still getting the tightness feeling and tingly pains, but am hoping  to to experience months of pain and slow progress that many have recounted!  you are all troopers. I look forward to hearing how you are all doing now!

Em x
That should say "hoping NOT t of experience the pain" lol I am not a massacist
I don't know if anyone still replies or even looks at this thing anymore but I just wanna say how I feel and talk about my experience. Two weeks ago today, I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out, the bottom left took the longest to heal out of the 4 and is the side that is still numb. A week ago, I went in for my post-op check-up and the doctor did some "tests", he got a cotton swab with a soft side and a sharp side and started rubbing them on the numb side from left to right and asked me if they were going from left to right or vice versa (all of this with my eyes closed to avoid cheating). I was generally accurate. I am 18 years old and am feeling itchy, tingly, and burning sensations from time to time, are those feelings good or bad? The doctor also said the nerve is intact which is a good sign but the nerve was just being pushed around during the surgery thus why it is still numb. What I am wondering is are those sensations good and if they are, are they signs that the nerve is trying to "wake-up" as they say.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
My dentist said tingling is a good sign.  
I just had all 4 wisdom teeth removed a week ago and I still have numbness on the lower right side of my lip and chin. I began to worry and went up for a post-op visit to my dentist who wants to see me back in 6 weeks to check on it. All he said was that we knew there was a risk when taking out one of the wisdom teeth because it was so close to my nerve but the tooth had to come out. I am thinking positive and feel that with time it will come back or at least be less numb where it doesn't drive me crazy. It is annoying and the numbness almost hurts. I am praying for healing and contentment.
Hello I did wisdom teeth 2 days back by my d
low chance of injury during wisdom teeth extraction is a lie and all they care is how you help them pay their loan.
Mangoken,
It isn't really a lie in the grand scheme.  The vast majority of wisdom tooth extractions...thousands performed every day throughout the world do not result in nerve damage.  However when nerve damage does occur which does happen in spite of vigilance and I really believe dental practices are inferior to what standard they should be when the tooth is close to the inferior alveolar nerve, consequences can be life altering as was in my case.  I still struggle with intermittent pain, numbness and tightness 2 1/4 years post tooth extraction.  Further, therapies to provide relief are quite limited and have drawbacks.  The risk of injury is great for a very small subset of wisdom tooth extractions if unfortunate enough to have unfavorable anatomy in this regard.
For those interested, I believe most cause and effect is stated in the archives of this thread if patient enough to read back through.  What isn't addressed perhaps as substantively are what therapies are available.  I believe many if not most don't offer the kind of improvement those badly injured like myself would appreciate.  I will continue to research this as technology is moving target and hopefully improved therapies will become available.  I know for fact that 50 years from now, the science of pain management will be unrecognizable in comparison to today's primitive methods.  But we aren't living in the future sadly.
Continued healing to all.
Sorry you went through this.  5 impacted teeth is quite extraordinary.  Impossible to predict the future for each. I had a worse case tooth extraction over 2 years ago, I am still plagued with.  In fact, I just contacted the facial surgeon that removed it to determine any further pain management techniques.
You may resolve quickly as it turns out...or may resolve say 90% within a 1 year time frame.  Nerve damage and the body restoring itself is somewhat a lottery.  Nerves vary in amount of damage when a tooth is extracted and the bodies ability to restore itself varies among individuals as well.

To best understand the dynamic of this injury, best to read through the hundreds of posts provided by members here with their experience.  Doctors have few answers and no crystal ball, not only in terms of damage to a given nerve if the trunk of the nerve is intact, but what level of function will return.  For every positive recovery there is a person that wasn't so lucky.
I wish you and everybody here the highest quality of life.
PS: since you don't know your future, choose hope over fear is my best advice.
Hi i had all 4 of my.wisdom teeth removed almost 2 weeks ago ,I still have a numb area on the left side of my chin and lower left lip and.lower left teeth...I went for my post op.check up last week,surgeon did all the prick tests and I can feel it.slightly but feels weird ..he told Me it bruising on the nerve and that the feeling will come back within few weeks/months....It gets so.itchy feel like ant crawling and can't scratch because numb ...I'm so worried will this feeling.come back completely ??has anyone come back after ?
I had a molar extracted Wednesday, now my bottom front teeth,  bottom lip and chin are all numb and feel dead. When I told the surgeon, I was told it was on the form, that it may go away but could take a leg time, or met never go away. I had a feeling it was known already. I didn't read all the fine Print. I trusted completely. My bad! It's helpful reading this forum, Also depressing that can take years.  I am older than most on the forum, I will continue reporting and watching, reading. Thankful for the input and experiences
Hey Fridsygrl .. it will be ok ... keep reading here :)  the first weeks/month is the hardest after that i promise to God it gets easier
Hi folks! :)  Well it's been over 2 years now since my last bout with this wonderful injury and I can say just like the last time 'steady as she goes' :)

I see the question about age is coming up again and I can tell you it's not the truth.  The healing process depends on the injury and not age.  Nerves are so complex that blaming age seems a way you can't possibly be wrong, but the truth of the matter is 'no one knows'.

Look, the first few days of this thing are NUTS!!! You want your normal back.  You want to live life like you did before.  You want to remember what life was like kissing and not thinking about drooling. :)

So for round 2 I have moments when I can't control the drip that I didn't feel coming out.  I'm sorry that it's funny to me, but that took time.  At first it is SOOO NOT FUNNY. But after you learn to live with it.  This could be so much worse.

So yes, like timeheals said.  I recovered over 15 years later.  At the 10 year mark it felt like it was teeeny'est tiniest bit of numbness.  It was at the 15 or 16 year mark that i think I was like.. 'omg.. there is numbness nowhere'.  I took a feather and with the most gentle of gentle touches i let it touch my right chin up to the bottom of my lip and it felt the exact same as it did on the other non-injured side.

AND THEN! :) I went and had oral surgery on the other side and voila! Round 2! :)

The recovery for Round 2 was much faster out of the blocks, but then the healing slowed to a snails pace.  The thing is, it's still a pace.  Each day/week/hour/minute there are always changes.

I feel my chin and lip 24/7.  I am always touching it, sticking something into it to see if it feels different than the last day.  There are days when I feel no changes, but then there are others where I'm like 'oh cool.. that's back'. :)

You know what's super weird?  I'd lost the ability to come to this page, but when I started reading, my chin got all itchy and I could feel things firing off.  It was almost like my injured area nerve workers were cheering that the work they do all day every day was being recognized.  :)  Ok .. maybe there aren't workers in my mouth, but the feelings really did start happening.

DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!

I am telling you, this is not as bad as you think.  The first few weeks where you are biting your lip are horrible, but most all of us (no matter the damage level) feel the same the first few weeks.  Depression, 'why-me'dom, some pain, the flippin' tightness, biting the lip, etc. etc. etc.

Like I said I am now two years in to the 2nd round and I think it's helped having gone through this before.  As sick as it may sound to some I don't mind this post tightening part of the recovery.  There are advantages to having this happen.  Warmer food always gets tested on that side first is the biggest win. :)  Flossing on that side.. loves it!  

If I say more I'll just be repeating myself.  I will try to stay updated more (now that I rediscovered my bookmark).  :)

Have a blessed day everyone!!!

#onelove
Onelove,
Wonderful to hear from you and thanks for providing an update on round 2!
Could you do me a favor if you see this?  Could you send me a PM with your email address?  I would like to keep in contact with you to compare notes on your recovery.  I am at 2 years and 5 months on my wisdom tooth extraction which resulted in a consequential injury to my inferior alveolar nerve and I still have a long way to go with many challenging days of dysesthesia.

So, if you could drop me a quick PM with your email so we don't lose touch, I would appreciate it.

Many thanks for contributing such great perspective to this forum.

Be well,
Timeheals60

So, as unbelievable as it sounds, even if the numbness goes away the tight feeling in the lip ad chin remain. That might be too much for me to live the rest of my life with. THe tension in the lip and whole chin area is going to make me end up doing something stupid
I really just dont get it, my jaw was broken and thats how my IANnerve was damaged, Not a single one of the docs mentioned me having to face this tightness. IT was only about the numbness that they sad would 95% come back . WIthin 30 days almost all my numbness was gone but this life draining tightness remains unchanged.

Why are people not coming on here at least saying it loosened up for them with time...."timeheals".....with a screen name lime that pls tell me the nerve is g go ing to keep fighting and take some of this tight feeling away. AS quick as my nerve recovered from the numbness why would I be left with a life of this tightness, the docs said I only had a neuropraxia. ......im now 80 days into this mess and dont see how the nerve is going to stop doing this to me

Why does this happen, the nerve is healed pretty much....
Clintk,
80 days in honestly isn't much in terms of the nerve recovering.  Nerves regenerate beyond slow.  Many of us have a lot of tightness.  Not to discourage you, but I still do 2.5 years out from my tooth extraction.  I have close to worse case nerve damage and in fact recently have been diving back in to see what my options are to improve my quality of life.  Two things Clintk...damage within the nerve...jaw breakage/tooth extraction many times results in a 'stretch' injury to the nerve, compromising the interior carriers of communication called axons...and/or...'possible' external compression on the nerve 'if' the canal that surrounds your nerve...the IAN runs through the jaw...'if' it is being compressed externally.  Nerves don't like to be pushed on.  In fact, I am traveling to see my neurosurgeon later today for a CBCT scan to determine if my nerve is under compression.  If not, I will need to explore options to lower my pain which btw, may increase numbness...latter is why I have resisted further intervention to this point.
Many report tightness Clintk....a VERY common side effect to the nerve being injured over and above reduced sensation aka increased numbness.  If you continue to struggle, you need to get with a neurosurgeon and see what your options are.  You have a lot of company.  For peace of mind because putting a broken jaw back together maybe pressing on the nerve, consider a follow up CBCT scan to see if any part of the jaw nerve canal is pressing on the trunk of the nerve would be my advice.  Peace of mind.  If not, then you either wait for further recovery or discuss options to lower your tightness, understanding few really good options exist.
Best Regards.
But  I still just cant seem to grasp it, if the nerve has  95% healed then why this awful tightness.

So its just going to remain like this forever , heck I cant even picture how the nerve would fix this twisted tight feeling anyways.

I guess heres to a lifetime of uncomfortableness .

Just really having hard time grasping this, the nerve as it heals should correct the feeling in the lip and chin as well.
OR it should at least get better with time and loosen up ...... havet some ppl came on here and said it loosened up and movement felt more normal eventually as time passed

Thanks for answering  and let me know what your cone beam shows and find out as much info as possible on how effective the cone beam can see the nerve within the canal and relation to our injuries.
You give me hope! It's been 4 years.i have temperature sensitivity I hope this can eventually go away.
Hi there,

I had googled for the past few days and going mentally stress because of my wisdom tooth extraction. I am at my 8th day now post wisdom tooth extraction.

I had my lower right wisdom tooth extracted last week and was warned about paraesthesia as mine was near a nerve.  He did a CT scan and even assured me that he did not hurt the nerve during the extraction process.
On 3rd day after extraction, after my swelling went down, i experienced really tight pressure on my lower front chin and teeth. I have occasional pins and needles and pain radiating through out my lower right chin too.

I constantly felt pressure and throbbing pain on my lower right chin and it is really distracting but I couldn't do anything about it. I returned to my dentist for review on 6th day and he said that my wound healed completed. He explained that the pressure it could be due to the blood clot wrapping or sitting on the nerve and it could take weeks or months to go away.  He told me he had one patient who took 3 months for the blood clot to go away before she slowly gained back sensation.

I was given steriods for 7 days, Magnesium Hydroxide vitamin and asked to return 2 weeks later for review.

I really hope that the numb and pressure feeling can go away asap. I kept on feeling like i got punched in the face and swelled really bad, but i look normal on the outside :<

Cmon ppl , we need some success stories of the tight, tension feeling in lip and chin easing up with time.
A good time for an update. My inferior nerve was injured due to a lower rear side molar extraction 2.5 years ago.
There is a signature question asked on this forum all the time that is not evident in the medical literature nor can a clinician answer with any certainty and Clint just asked it again here.
The question is this:  Will I recover and to what level?  A basic question that I will give a basic answer to for all those that come here and wonder.  
If you think about wisdom tooth extraction, the reason for the protocols used today is, they widely work perfectly for easily 98-99% of the population.  The people that come here are not within that statistical distribution which is basically shaped like a bell curve.  The biggest consideration for injury is how close the tooth root is to the nerve.  That determines each of our fate.  1-2% of the human population has their wisdom tooth root very close to the nerve.  Many like me for example when this circumstance is presented to a dentist or oral surgeon, they forego pulling the tooth when young.  If a person is fortunate to grow older and has the tooth extracted later in life, they are at very high risk of damaging the nerve with very serious consequences which is what happened to me.
I just returned from the hospital where I had my tooth extracted 2.5 years ago.  I know a lot about this injury having spoken to many MD’s, PhD’s and neurosurgeons including a brilliant young doctor a couple of days ago who collaborated in my case with a team of experts.  I could write a book on this and probably should.
So question again is, “Will I recover?”. The answer is, “It depends”.  Not a very good answer which deserves some explanation. What does recovery depend upon?  Ans: How severe the injury to the nerve is.  You see, if you evaluate this injury from a statistical standpoint, each of us are extremely rare to be here.  Thousands of wisdom teeth are pulled at the dentist each day…many thousand will be extracted today for example with no consequence.  It gets more complicated when you consider the very small percentage of those injured (us) when it comes to who among us will recover?  Here is the good and bad news.  The good news is of this very small percentage injured like us, many will recover just fine with little or very little sensory disruption.  Now the bad news. A subset of those injured will not recover and may in fact live with chronic pain without an intervention of some nature and options for therapies are limited in fact in terms of relief.  The nerve cannot be repaired as it turns out.  It is like humpty dumpty who falls off the wall.  He can’t be put back together again, or at least on a level that creates normal function.  Sadly, in my case, a person that has blessed with extraordinary health for my long life, I have a worse case nerve injury and I will not recover from this.  Oh, maybe in 3-5 years as the nerve continues to regrow…periperhal nerves like the inferior alveolar nerve regrow throughout a lifetime…my symptoms may  lessen in terms of pain with time…or…may not.  I went to visit the hospital after an email exchange…the hospital is 200 miles away from my house…because I am not recovering.  My pain level is the same.  I have nerve pain and numbness after over two years.  I have a worse case injury to the nerve and the stark reality I have to live with.  My injury is among the rarest which btw comports with what a team of surgeons knew about me going into the hospital where I had my tooth extracted.  I had a worse case tooth to nerve relationship.
OK, how do each of you know how severe our injury is going to be?  The further enigmatic part of this saga is, you don’t and can’t be told by the smartest surgeons.  They don’t know and there are no tests for it. Oh, they can look at a CAT scan or radiograph, perform sensory tests like…Do you feel that? etc, but no doctor can predict with any certainty if  you will recover because they don’t know just how badly the nerve was damaged by removing the tooth.

In summary the question that gets asked here all the time like Clint just asked…will my tightness go away?  My answer Clint is…it depends.  It depends on how bad your nerve injury is.  Clint, my tightness has not resolved.  I have tightness everyday and my tightness escalates when I speak or eat. This likely will not change.  There is hope however for others.  Some will recover completely from their nerve injury.  Or some will recover like Starbrite to ‘almost’ a full degree with almost no sensory disturbance.  It all depends on the magnitude of injury to the nerve which is unknowable by modern science to determine.
Lastly, because of my worse case outcome to this injury which has caused me to invest so much of my time to learn about it and different options, at some point, I may come back here and discuss what limited options exist to reduce pain.

If anybody struggles with this injury after a long period of time, please contact me via private message and I will try to help.  I can share some therapeutic options that may improve the quality of your life as I have sought those answers.
My best to everybody here with this injury and hope above gives some perspective to a very difficult question commonly asked.

I am very very distressed and desperate, but glad that I found this forum. It is only three weeks since I got this horrible nerve damage after having two loose teeth extracted by a highly specialised dentist. The root of the one tooth (the third after where the wisdom tooth was) was left in the bone when he removed the tooth. So he had to use a drill to get the root out. Before he started I did ask him if there was any risk that he might damage a nerve. He said no. No risk. I then asked him if there was any risk at all. He said no, there is not. I asked, not because I knew of any risk myself, but because my mouth already was damaged for life from a devastating radiotherapy in my mouth and neck 15 years ago. And I knew that I could not live with further damage in my poor mouth. So - I was shocked when I three days later realized that something had gone wrong. I was totally numb in the left half of my lower lip and chin. Burning pain and tension in the area, and a feeling of bad swelling of lip and chin. Nothing has changed after three weeks now. I am 63, so I am terrified that this will be permanent with no improvement. I started to take extra vitamin B, and vitamin B12 plus Alfa Lipon. I read somewhere that it might help the damaged nerve to heal. I cannot know if it might help, of course. But I feel I just have to do something. Has any of you heard of this? Or anything else that might help?
I see that several of you still suffer from this even years after the tooth extraction. I am so sorry for you. I sincerely hope that you will get much better. The story about the woman who suddenly healed after ten years gives us all hope. Though I do hope of course that it will happen for all of us much sooner.
Polyfobe...
check your inbox on this site.  I am sending you a private message.
Hi I had my two bottom wisdom teeth out over a month ago now I was very swollen and bruised from it and then a week ago I got another infection causing my face to swell one side even bigger. I have nerve damage half of my tounge on my left side and on my right side my lowere lip chin and gums i get tingling and dragging feeling alot. I find it very irritating and it affects my day to day life I feel like i have gone from a smiley person to hiding away. The last few days if i rub my lower chin i get tingling in my lip? Has anyone else felt this ? Does anyone know if this is a good sign that my nerve is healing ? Sorry to hear so many of u have gone through this ita doing my head in arghhhhh x
Sometimes...not always tongue pain is associated with lingual nerve damage.  Chin and lip numbness is typically associated with the inferior alveolar nerve.  What I want you to know is both nerves will continue to regenerate 'throughout your lifetime'  Please read this forum in its entirety including what I wrote above about the unknowable future.  Nerve recovery depends on 'amount of injury' to the nerve.  This is pretty unknowable without doing the time to find out how much recovery you will gain.  If you want more information post more detail about your extractions...who did it...surgeon or dentist...what he/she said.  Go back to them and ask questions about tooth root to nerve position.  Address your infection foremost.  Stay positive.  Take meds for either anxiety and/or any nerve pain you experience.  With time your nerves will recover to some degree.
We have all been in your shoes and you will get your life back but it may take quite a period of time.
Take care.
Hi Hannah..I am about a month and three weeks out from this same injuries. Right side chin/lip/teeth... And left tongue. Any updates? Are you healing? Do you feel better?
I am not sure if I am pleased or saddened to have come by this forum. Its only been 4 days since I had a rear right molar (the furthest at the back) removed, which I am guessing is a wisdom tooth. After reading these very useful posts and knowing my own body I am pretty sure I am in for the long haul. No feeling in the lower right quarter of my face as well as bottom teeth feeling tight and pressured. Gutted!! But my Mum always said a problem shared is a problem halved. My fingers are crossed for everyone experiencing this depressing feeling however at the end of the day we are only experiencing loss of feeling to a small part of our very good working bodies. I guess my satisfaction is that one of the most depressing things I am dealing with is respectfully very minor in comparison to what else could go wrong in life. #stayblessed
JK...
The earliest days are by far the worst.  You will get your life back.  Yes, the earliest days can be devastating. Even if you have worse case which I learned I had and the nerve is badly injured you will survive and be ok.  Also I learned recently the nerve can be killed completely which btw is a procedure I am considering.  It is called Radio Frequency Ablation.  For anybody living with chronic face pain due to molar extraction, send me a PM and I will send you the document discussing this procedure.  What I learned recently, is complete numbness is better than a combination of reduced sensation + neuropathic pain.  I thought giving up feeling completely on the right, lower side of my mouth would be much worse than have some feeling due to a degraded nerve due to extraction + residual pain due to the nerve not regenerating to its original state.  I was wrong.  Complete numbness is much better. I recently had my right side numbed to test this thesis.  So each of us doesn't have to live with pain if that is what you end up with and there is a subset that will end up in pain like I have...although I believe that those who end up in pain due to worse case tooth extraction to be a 'very small' minority of those that are here looking for answers.

So this is a message of hope...
a. your nerve may regenerate to an acceptable level depending on amount of injury to the nerve and this is only knowable until doing the time...you will know in about 1 year or so...and,
b. If you end up in pain, you can have the nerve killed which will allow you to live your life undistracted as your brain will quickly adjust to lack of sensation.

Good luck to all...
Hi All,   I'm so glad to find this forum. Wish I had done  some research before choosing to extract  my right impacted wisdom tooth.  I got my lower right  impacted wisdom tooth extracted along with the top fully erupted wisdom tooth (which  grew sideways). No issues with the top one. My chin went numb  on the right  from outside and  teeth  on the right feel tight feeling pressure especially on the  lower canine  tooth.  The oral surgeon   warned me about this and got a wavier signed for the same. I had a same set of teeth removed on the left side  due to  an infection 8 years ( happened during pregnancy) with no issues and textbook recovery.   This time its not the same,  with this numbness. I really had no issue with the right one.. but just removed it out caution as every dentist that I have seen advised me to get it extracted. I still remember the pain from infection, thought taking care of this would end  being very cautious and the constant fear of if it would infected.
The oral surgeon has said   that the tooth was very long  and  it was kind hooked to the nerve. Said the nerve may be irritated  and  the numbness would go away slowly.

Is there any hope?? Really looking for positive stories.
Yes, there is hope.  Depends on the severity of the injury to the nerve which is unknowable.  Nerves communicate on a molecular level.  So you will learn of your recovery as time elapses.  Many if not most recover to a level where they have little to no discomfort.  I happened to draw the short straw in spite of doing everything possible to prevent injury.  I had my wisdom tooth extracted in a hospital and they still badly injured the nerve.  I had worse case tooth root to nerve anatomy and the result has been very challenging.  But you may be lucky and the nerve may recover to a high level as it does in many cases.  Somewhat of a lottery as it turns out.
Always choose hopefulness in the absence of knowing a given outcome.  You have no reason to believe you won't recover fully.
Good luck.
@Timeheals60,Thx for the response.
Well looks like this thread is pretty much over
No one coming on to give positive updates or support
Well was just given the 6 month death sentence by a oral surgeon as far as my ian nerve damage. Im 5 months into it and still feel tension and weirdness in lip and chin .

Guess the only thing I can do is hang on to hope coming from a few of the ppl here who reported improvements after 6 months .

The pressure of getting better really weighs on the heart and mind , wish I really felt like I was going to continue to improve
Clint,
Yes, really your only option…time right now until you get to about the 1 year point.  There is no surgical repair of the nerve if the trunk of the nerve isn’t severed.  So all you can do is wait it out.  In another 6 months or so, if you still feel overwhelmed with tightness and/or agitation to the nerve like I have when my chin and lip area are touched or when I speak or eating then I suggest the following:

1. Go to a neurologist and request to have your IAN numbed on the side that bothers you to test to see if numbing the nerve is better than the dyesthesia you have due to the nerve not regenerating back within the normal range of function. A standard dentist numbing procedure is used to see if numbness is preferred to your current level of discomfort.

2.  If as a result of this procedure you prefer having your mouth numbed to the feeling of tightness and heightened nerve agitation you feel, then you may be a candidate for Radio Frequency Ablation.  That is what RFA is….the nerve is burned by a high temperature probe to remove sensation.

With current technology, not soon to change on the imminent horizon, above is all we have.  Regrowing a new nerve aka stem cell therapy is well off into the future.  There is no way to repair the nerve because the damage occurs at the cellular level and cells cannot be repaired.
The problem with regeneration of the nerve which the body does naturally for peripheral nerves like IAN is…if the nerve is injured beyond a certain level…in your case due to jaw breakage and in my case due to impact tooth extraction…when the axons within the nerve grow back, they can misalign which creates the uncomfortable touch sensation.  All one can do if the nerve doesn't regenerate properly and too uncomfortable is...kill the nerve.

I recently visited a neurologist and had my nerve numbed on the lower RHS and it is the most normal I have felt in 2.7 years since my IAN injury.
Almost surprising how much I got used to the discomfort.  I am considering the RFA procedure to kill the nerve so I don’t have to live with the tightness you discuss or the nerve agitation due to speaking and eating.  I found in the hour of so after having my chin/lip/gum numbed, my brain quickly adapted to lack of sensation and it was a much better alternative to agitated sensation of tightness and all the other abnormal feeling associated with jaw movement and touch.

For those that have the IAN injured to the level I have, RFA maybe the best option.

Hope that helps.
Yo Timeheals, the thing is that the tightness has kinda went down a bit
The overall feelling i a bit better, still feel some tickly bubbly sensations on chin as well which leads me to believe its not fully finished.

Just hate how the oral surgeons are so caught up in medical literature and medical literature only that they act like continued healing cant occur .

The pain is only in a spot the size of a dime toward my middle lip and chin , and thats only when I touch it, and even then it sometimes doesnt even hurt when I touch it.

I hope you get to where you want to be yourself Timeheals. I know our injuries are dif though as yours was a lot worse. 98% of my numbness is gone 5 months in . The tightness just seems to act up as my lip ad chin move but even the tightness doesnt feel like such a scab type feeling on chin when it moves. Before it felt tight and really tight when i smiled or talked and the whole area of chin felt like scabby. Now that scabby feeling is gone as well just some residual tightness which is still very uncomfortable

Thing im having the most trouble with is the scar tissue /adhesions from 2 surgeries in my jaw.

The scar tissue is connected to the massatuer muscle and makes opening mouth weird and a tension feeling overall. If anyone knows any secrets besides massage to help with internal scar tissue id gladly listen.

Im just going to keep hoping that like kazlilly said, over time it keeps getting slightly better. Her Ian expert consultant she went to told her that it would keep healing for many years and she could eventually click off from it altogether and she said he was right .

You keep saying a year now Timeheals, do you no longer have much confidence in any noticeable improvement sensations form the nerve after a year ?
Clint,
For me about a year or 1.5 years...I haven't noticed a lot of change.  Neurologists are taught in school 6 months to 1 year.  One4love on this forum said, her numbness went away over a period over ten years!  To me, nerve regeneration is a function of how badly the nerve is injured in conjunction with the immune system of the injured person. So a combination of factors determine to what level you will heal.  Of course we don't know until we do the time.  In the absence of being able to repair the nerve, all we have is time however, so we do the time unless we decide and go in and kill the nerve which is what I am considering because honestly, my mouth still really bothers me...a lot of tightness and pretty severe agitation when I talk or eat.  Fortunately my mouth goes asleep when I do...it never wakes me up so I sleep ok.
But my quality of life is degraded by this injury.

As to your scar tissue, I suggest you research this to see if there any options to reduce it.  I don't know.  My issue is purely sensory and not motor related.  My smile is even and nobody knows but me what it feels like.  My bike and jaw movement are fine.

Clint, no matter what level you get to you will learn to accept it better with each passing month.  Many of us were panicked beyond description by what happened to us.  I could have never imagined all of this would have occurred due to a tooth extraction.  All I expected worse case was numbness and instead I had electric shock and every possible bad sensation coursing through my mouth.  I only wish somebody on this forum would have already had the RFA procedure to advise how it turned out.  I maybe the first one posting here at least.  Its been done because I have read the medical literature and traded emails with the doctor that performed the therapy now out in CA managing a pain clinic.
You will be fine Clint and stay hopeful you will continue to improve.
Many heal completely and some close enough to not bother them in the least.
I just worry about incomplete healing so much . I keep feeling like my nerve is about to turn a corner then it kinda acts up . I hate it . I hate the fact that I have a nerve injury . Im sorry im not as positive as some on this site . Just feel like im 34 and have so much living to do . Ive overcame so many things in my life already , multiple broken bones but this broken jaw has to be the one that causes nerve damage. In the one area I cant handle feeling bad and thats my face.

I gotta pray that somehow it continues to heal itself. Cuz ill be one unhappy person if it stays even how it is now. I need one more chance in life at feeling normal. Just one more chance. But after 5 months I feel like the healing has ran its course. I try to read around on the comments and see people talk about noticeable healing after 5 months but dont really see much of it.

I have an appointment wednesday for some kind of electro accupuncture , anyone know of or had success with that .
Echo Echo Echo
Heyy...any improvement in tightness???....also anyone get spasm in chin??
Man, just last saturday I thought things were finally rounding out and shaping up and finallly turning a corner for good .

Jaw was feeling better , lip wasnt tight at all , chin area wasnt painful to the touch or tight , but now as I write this it seems as if everything is back. Just hit the 6 month mark so time is running out and this current regression might be too much for me to handle .

There is no reason for my nerve to slowly get better over the last so many months and now all those gains seem lost .Tell me how that makes any sense , Im not sure if I can live like this as the quality of life and the way the nerve gives hope then regresses as time is running out is becoming a deadly combination.  

Thoughts have really been running through my mind big time.  What a monumental letdown btw that no one comes here to report any positive feed back anymore .

Btw Timeheals , 2 things. I know you said regression seems to happen before better feelings come, but does that hod true even 6 months in. Like if tightness and pain when touched were dissipating to pretty close to normal but then it all comes back tight and painful..... is that still normal with this injury even as far as 6 months in .

I also saw you post that peripheral nerves continue to regenerate throughout our lifetime .... you said that after consulting with a team of experts, its hard for me to grasp that . Like do you mean slowly the nerve will present sligntly more normal feeelings as time goes on even if most of the healing has already occurred,  and were these experts taking into consideration the inferior alveolar nerve specifically when considering slow lifetime improvements

You know its strange, ive been injured more times than I can count and Ive always trusted the body to repair itself. This is the first time in my life I dont have that confidence .
Im just not sure what the nerve could still do after 6 months, but I also dont understand why the nerve would relapse either. The nerve is not in my jaw dying , im taking the best multivitamin in the world and takinf excellent care of myself. So why does it relapse lime this and send off such bad signals as if it is deteriorating even after big improvements

Sigh

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but quite possible you will have abnormal aka uncomfortable sensation in your mouth moving forward Clint.  Like myself you may have worse case for this injury.  There is relief however.  I am approaching 3 years and I live with some level of daily discomfort that cycles from bad to tolerable.  So I am considering a procedure called Radio Frequency Ablation to kill the nerve completely on my lower right side.  At University of Florida hospital I recently went through a trial and had mouth numbed with a dental needle and it was the first time in almost 3 years my mouth feel acceptable.  So, this trial basically represents what killing the nerve would feel like which is much better than the sensation in my mouth I live with daily so I am seriously considering it later this year.  I can email a case study of this procedure to anybody interested if you send me a private message.  It can be performed in many hospitals throughout the US and I presume in other parts of the world.  RFA is used on other parts of the body as well for chronic relieve of neuropathic pain including neck and spine area.  The doctor who wrote the white paper associated with ablating the inferior alveolar nerve…now runs a pain clinic in California and I can provide his contact information as well if anybody cares to contact him.
In summary Clint, some recover from their nerve injury and some don’t.  All depends on the severity of the injury to the nerve.  Word up.  Numbness is better than profound tightness and abnormal sensations running through your lip and chin.  
Hope that helps some seeking relief.
But wait? All that mumbo jumbo about plenty of time to heal written on each and every page ?

Im only 6 months into this ?
Didnt Starbrite,Blessed2beme, and sarahnumb all have tightness throughout their healing process . Sarah had hers till like 9 months , Starbrite said hers was fadingn slowly then did a final post 3 years later and said it wasnt in lip or chin just centered on canine tooth ...same with blessed2beme?

Just weeks ago it seemed like I was turning a corner fo rthe better. IF it was going to be really bad then it wouldnt of showed me those good days and weeks... like it would always be very bad sensations coursing through mouth mixed in with just bad sensations......

I dont really have any numbness maybe 5% if that. when I purse my lips then smile it doesnt really feel too tight. Just when I talk it seems to well up a bit under my lip and even at times it loosens up a lot .

I went from the first month of extreme tightness in lip and numbness , no pain , then after about 30-40 days I had almost all feeling back but still had the tightness.

Then about 4 months later the tightness in lip when pursing and smile faded a whole lot, to almost none. But the speaking still irritated it .

My chin feels a bit weird when I touch it, some pain in the size of a dime by my inner bottom lip and chin, but feels normal  a lot of times too, some tingles as well or bubbly sensations which leads me to believe its still healing ?

I have had a couple of bad weeks now since feeling really good on Feb 16..... but I thought that was all part of this. I know I might not heal 100% but you and the others here have always gave me hope that the nerve would continue to heal and more normal sensations such as tightness would continue to fade(if even after times of it getting bad again).

Kinda shocked me with this last post , I know you dont know my fate and all, but it seems all the optimism has drained outta ya over the last year .
I know 3 years is a long time about 1000 days, but im only 195 days into this . That RFA procedure isnt a option for me but I hope it gives you the comfort you have been hoping for

So you dont believe the nerve heals a whole lot after the initial 6-7 months of beginning healing and reconnecting? Earlier you said the nerve heals throughout lifetime ,I just kinda hoped the nerve would keep fighting for me to bring this tightness tension down over the next 6-12 months.....

Im more confused then ever. This thread is the only thing that has given me hope that my future wont be so bad because slowly the nerve would continue to fight to make sensations more normal over time like the other longterm sufferers

"Best of luck to those that say are less than one year from their injury and yet believe they are well away from being healed.  Many have come forward here and stated pretty unanimously that there is discernible healing between the 1 and 2 year period"

"Further injustice to those needlessly injured?  What the medical literature teaches surgeons and dentists about nerve recover.  It is widely inaccurate and irresponsible and in layman's terms, utter BS.  The 6 month mantra of what you see is what you get, it a complete false narrative as debunked by many testimonials here and a gross injustice to those unfortunate to suffer this injury and live in silent despair believing their quality of life will be forever degraded. "

" No we don't know the future, but statistics are largely in your favor and if not perhaps perfect recovery...more like a benign acceptable or new normal which will be perfectly tolerated and perhaps diminish to perfect normalcy over time. "

"But just like my mouth has changed 'substantially' from the 6 months to 1.5 year point, yours will too.
My mouth in fact continues to change weekly and I expect to follow the path of AprilChristine and Starbrite and others who have made it past the two year point and are still recovering"

These are all quotes by you that I have been holding onto dearly over these 6 months . Now Im not sure what to think. Thanks for responding but I wish you still remained as hopeful as you did in these posts.

Take care George :-(
You are trying to assign certainty to nerve damage you and others has sustained.  I have learned a lot about this injury over the years including how much improvement or lack thereof I can expect moving forward.  I will try to break it down for you a bit:
- Some that sustain injury to the IAN recover completely
- Some that sustain injury to the IAN will have a deficit aka some level of numbness they will barely notice
- Some will have discernible change of sensation without pain and some degree of noticeable tightness
- Some will struggle with this like myself after 3 years.  In summary, my nerve was profoundly injured by my tooth extraction. Short of severing the nerve, the injury to my nerve is likely worse case.

So how do you know where you fall in the pecking order above?  Time.  You are 6 months in.  I believe you will know your fate more 1 to 1.5 years in.  Nobody, not a doctor on the planet has a crystal ball to understand how much you will recover.  Age however is on your side being still a young man.
Above is what I now believe because I live worse case.  The amount of recovery I have achieved is largely degrading to my quality of life. My spirit however rises above it.  I refuse to bow to this injury and move forward each day as before.  I have a warrior spirit basically.  Day to day I have lived with a fair degree of discomfort…magnified by jaw motion aka speaking and eating.
So for me, as with the two other people in the case study I referenced, RFA is likely my best path moving forward.
Please explain why RFA is not an option for you as you state.  
Btw, you post a lot about not being able to move forward with your life etc.  I was injured far worse that you.  My mouth for almost a year felt like it was plugged into an electrical wall socket.  I was having anxiety attacks daily.  I know people that have been house bound for a year due to this injury because of the devastation and they finally emerged.   If you can’t cope with the symptoms you report which seem much less severe than what I went through, I highly suggest you seek therapy and anti depressant meds.  Issues like this can bankrupt brain chemistry and by administration of AD meds, you can get your life back even with being less than your perfect self.

Yeah I know. I just want to feel confident that the nerve is still inside
working on itself. I know they say the nerves grow and so forth but this isnt the case with this injury , its a short distance. So the growing with time connecting thing isnt a factor.

So even though the axons and growth cone have reached their destination , the nerve apparently still continues to work and rebuild itself to more normal feelings . Because the inch per month thing and within a few months its all connected or what not.

Like I said , I just want to know that my body/nerve isnt accepting this and is
trying to make sensations more normal month by month. You are confident of that in the first 12 -15 months right Timeheals, that the nerve continues to improve one way or another?

Im reading over Starbrite and blessed2me,along with sarahnumb and even kazlilly posts and they said the tightness continued to wear down with time... even though numbness went away ....

I just dont think the RFA procedure is for me as I dont want any more invasive procedures done to my body. I have been banged up to all hell with broken bones and injuries in only 34 years of life, speaking of 34 years old, you think that really has a impact on how much my nerve continues to correct itself?
Like, thats not just a saying?

Ive always appreciated your posts and still wish the best for you but I know after 3 years the way your still feeling its not looking good. Damn, cant believe a freaking extraction hurt the nerve that much ? Roots or not , it had to of ripped at the nerve to cause all that damage.

When you say jaw motion bothers you , like opening your jaw causes what ? Pain,tightness? Even eating does ? Explain the feeling in as much detail if you dont mind . My tightness feels good when im eating, but for some reason i can feel a tension well up when I talk real pronounced with my lips. Eating helps me though, it loosens it up in a way.

Wish you the best man, hope you comment back. And bol with that procedure if you go through with it.  

Thanks Clint.
The lesson in all of this is…it isn’t an even playing field therefore its unknown who will recover and who won’t.  I have recovered to the point my mouth feels like I am not longer plugged into a wall outlet.  For that I am beyond grateful.  There are no words in my vocabulary that can describe the first 6 months of this injury.  My mouth still feels generally feels poorly however and why killing the nerve completely is my best avenue.  I learned this while undergoing the trial numbing procedure at U of F. Numbness feels a lot better than profound tightness and continuous nerve agitation.  Not even close.
I also believe…and not to scare anybody here about their recovery, I am worse case or close to it.  I hoped this wasn’t going to be my story...a guy luckier than most with my health throughout my life...but time has taught me that is what I have been dealt.  And for further perspective, unlike you, I have been one of the healthiest people I know…always an exercise junkie and picture of health.  This was my first big health threat.

That said, my life is pretty close to normal.  I do what I want and when I want.  Yes, my mouth bugs me but some people have issues like arthritis and other pain related symptoms they have to live with.  Mine is simply nerve damage affecting my mouth and when I get the procedure…I have been putting it off a bit….I believe I will feel better…just like I did when I had my mouth numbed by the dental needle as a trial test.
I am hopeful you continue to recover Clint.  Stay hopeful.  In the absence of knowing you won’t recover, don’t lose hope you won’t recover.  Only reason I know I won’t  is because I haven’t.  This doesn’t apply to you or anybody else here.  Each of us are different.  As discussed, many improve dramatically over the months and this injury is no longer a problem for them.

Best of luck
explain agitation . And where(every single spot) is the tightness when you eat and speak ?Which one is worse, eating or speaking ?

You have pain without touching any areas of your face or mouth ?

Im glad your life is overall almost back to  normal though, that would take a warrior spirit as you said.

Answer this too , since the regrowing of the nerve has reached its destination (since its a short distance with inferior nerve) what occurs after 6 months ?
How did starbrite,sarahnumb,blessed2beme
continue to have breaktroughs so long
after the nerve had grown back to its previous spot? Is it that even though the nerve has reached its area , it still continues to heal within inside itself ?
Is that why we see the fine tuning of sensations getting better in time?
Is because the nerve keeps on working at patching itself up and making sensations more normal in doing so ? Kinda also how kazlilly said her tightness went from a 7 to a 2 from the 1 year to 2 year period

See all I hear with long term sufferers getting better is because the perip nerve they have toruble with has to reach a long distance which takes time.

So in a sense, the inferior nerve once its reaches its target still continues to get better and more healthy to make abnormal sensations more normal. Like I said with the fine tuning the tightness, weirdness,and other abnormalties
Is that what you apparently believe as well. That regeneration is more than the nerve regrowing to reach a certain point .

Thats where Im at right now, I just want to know the nerve isnt going to give up and be satisfied with where it is at. I still feel tickly sensations almost daily in it , and it gets loose then gets tight again , as right now its not all that tight at all but if i was to try to sing or yell moving my mouth around like a crazy person it would start to tense and coil up .

BUt the tightness seems to be getting better I guess because before I felt the tightness even when I didnt move my mouth at all .

I hope you read though what questions I asked and provide some more details ,especially since everyone else gave up on the forum ... which is a damn shame to be honest with ya . A damn shame
lol sigh
I am concerned, since my numbness/tingling pain didn't start with an extraction, it begain with the use of orajel on my broken tooth that's beside my lower K9.
Heyy...did ur issues improved??
Im not sure Darq, no 1 here has mentioned their problem stemming from that ? You better yet ?
Heyyy...wata the situation with tightness guys
Hey all, I too am experiencing the same conditions due to extraction of wisdom teeth. I am one week in and the tightness in my chin and lips are extremely aggravating. Any success stories or good news for anyone?
Now its wait and watch situation... you are only 1 week out...its early...
Unlimited 777 andEtal, sorry to inform ya but no one posts here anymore . The only one wth diligence was Timeheals and he has moved on. Cant blame him for being a bit upset because after 3 by years things did not heal fo for him as much as he deserved

I will tell you all this, it will be one of the hardest things you face in your lifetime.You want your face to feel good, no one wants there face and mouth to feel poor, its simply different than any other part of the body.....we are more sensitive there and vulnerable

The tightness friggin sucks but you just gotta taoe care of yourself and pray the nerve continues to ease the feelings as time passes

My chin will be numb for the rest of my life :(
whyy is that??? is your nerve completely cut??
2 Years counting
So does it feel tight or numb ??
I think it is combination of tight and numb, more tight i guess, can&#39;t really tell what this feeling is.
I think I am with the other hundred of y'all here. I am 8 days post op. I had not only the four wisdom teeth removed, but also five molars and a mass that was under my lower right wisdom tooth. It was a train wreck. The worst part of healing by far is the tightness of my chin and numbness of lip and chin. I can't hardly talk because it is such a strain. Eating is out of the question. I was hoping to find tricks to coping here. But maybe not so much. Hopefully this is still and active site. I've spent a lot of time reading all the other comments. Here's to a miracle....
hey 8 days is fine, may I ask how old are you?
The dentist did a &quot; surgical extraction &quot; on my FIRST MOLAR. But he left the roots in as he said it was dangerous to go any further and referred me to the hospital two days later. I was numb all over two days later and had needle like sensation. When the hospital took the tooth out the next day I thought it would be better but I was still numb and massive pain in my lip. I think it is going white even and I don&#39;t know what to do it&#39;s been 5 days anyone can help ?
Hi There, Im so glad I found this page! I had a temporary filling put into my lower right molar. I now have tingling and numb feeling in the right side of mu tongue. Im on day 6 and it is driving me mad I am so upset and dont know what to do! Has anyone got better from the tongue problem? Thanks
Hello everybody!  

I got my wisdom tooth extracted 2 weeks ago and I believe there is damage to my inferior alveolar nerve. My gum is still numb. My lip feels tight, dry and burning whereas my chin feels tingling, pins and needles, stabbing and burning. These feelings come and go and they can be VERY painful.

What scares me most is that the dentist who did my extraction was a periodontist, not an oral surgeon. She also did not sit me down to warn me of my high risk of nerve damage. Even after the extraction, she didn't want to believe me, thinking i was too paranoid or researching too much but now she believes me and is panicking too. The fact that she seemed certain before that there wasn't going to be nerve damage makes me very nervous that she was incompetent and her skill could have permanently damaged my nerves! :(

Looking back, i know it was stupid not to go to an oral surgeon but i really had no idea of these complications. All my friends got their wisdom teeth extracted and have been fine!

Please somebody be my friend here and talk to me through this recovery journey, if you're still having similar problems, pls do respond. I admit I'm a fragile soul and a crybaby.
I also wanna add that my unbearable sensation comes and goes RANDOMLY. but in these two weeks, i notice that there's no unbearable sensation  when i eat or shower. Or if i have it and I start to eat / shower, they also go away..

Is this a good sign?
I went to a oral surgeon and still have the same thing, bad luck
Hi everyone,

I'm new here but these last few days, I've read nearly every post. I'll explain where I am at right now, and I hope to keep everyone updated during my recovery.

I'm 22 and I got my 4 wisdom teeth removed 6 days ago. The OS warned me that my left side was very close to the nerve, so I most likely would have some damage that would take up to 6 months to heal. I brushed it off, thinking that it wouldn't actually happen. Well of course I was wrong, and whereas most of the anesthetic wore off within a few hours, the left side of my chin and lip stayed numb. It's not completely numb, as I can feel pressure and it's constantly tingling. There is also a tightness and sometimes an itching feeling which is just downright annoying because I can't actually reach it. My front teeth also feel as if they have been crammed together. Basically, all the common symptoms it would seem.

I've been on ibuprofen every 6 hours and on the third day I was put on steroids. I took it for three days and stopped today because I was reacting badly to them. I kind of wish I hadn't stopped though, because people seem to have some success on them. I thought I couldn't relate to the bad pain that others were having because mine has always just been very uncomfortable with a pain level of around 3-4. Turns out that's because I've also been on strong opioids (percocet and dilaudid) for my teeth, which has been controlling the nerve pain.  I attempted to go off of them today and I wanted to rip my jaw off. Fun times.

Anywho, I'm still quite swollen so I'm guessing that that plays a huge part in both my overall jaw pain and my nerve pain / numbness. I'll continue taking the ibuprofen and hopefully in a few days I'll be able to bear the chin / lip pain without medication. I'm also taking B12 supplements.

I'm honestly quite positive about my recovery. Not necessarily that it will be quick, easy or painless (both mentally and physically) but I'm trying to look at the bigger picture. If in a year from now I can be 90% healed, I'll be happy. And what is a year, really, in comparison to a lifetime? I hope to look back on this when I'm 35 and say, "Hey, remember that whole year in college when I couldn't feel my mouth and my smile was lopsided in all the pictures? Crazy times, man." and move on with my life.
I'm going back to school tomorrow after summer break, and I plan on not being self conscious but being very open about it to everyone - you just got to own it. My new song is "Can't feel my face" by The Weeknd.

Anyways, I hope I can maintain this positivity throughout, but I'm not too worried about that either. It's all about perspective, do whatever you can to heal, be healthy and let time do the rest.

Good luck to everyone, I'll keep you posted!
Hi again,

I just thought I would update everyone on my situation. Im 3 weeks and two days post surgery and things are getting better.

I'm definitely still numb in the same areas, but my lip is becoming much more sensitive to touch. At first, I couldn't feel anything if I touched it lightly with my finger. Now, it will tingle when touched. It's odd, because it doesn't feel like anything is actually touching my skin, but I know there is something there because of the tingles. It doesn't sound like much, but it's a huge improvement. I would say this happened around the just before the 3 week mark (about 4 days ago).

I'm not able to feel precise points just yet though. If I try to poke at my lip with a pencil, I won't feel anything unless I push down hard to put a lot of pressure on it.

My chin is still numb but I feel as if the "edges" of numbness have receded a mm or so, which is promising!

I think the biggest thing that happened is that I'm getting used to it. If you're reading this and you're in the early days of nerve bruising / damage, you might think that that's depressing. Believe me, it really isn't. Basically, at first it can consume all of your thoughts and energy. It can be frustrating because you're constantly aware of it, when you talk / eat / kiss, etc... *That's* depressing. But nerves take a long time to heal, so if you were to stay in that state for the entire time, you'd be constantly overwhelmed with discomfort. The human body gets used to the less than ideal situations so we can focus our attention elsewhere and thrive in other aspects of our lives. I no longer feel like I have this huge fat lip, I don't feel like I talk funny and I don't generally notice it when I smile. And honestly, nobody else has either. When I'm going about my day, it rarely causes problems. Now, I can continue with my life and let that sort itself out in it's own time. In my opinion, the trick is to accept it for what it is and focus on other things. I know, easier said than done sometimes! But it's a learning curve :)

Hope everyone else's recoveries are going well - I'll continue to update my progress as it happens!
Hello, how are you doing now? I’m a week out and feel a similar experience to yours. I have feeling in my chin lip and gum, but it’s minimal. And I’m experiencing some throbbing and pains and needles/itching lately. I’m hoping it’s a sign of recovery.... in the slightest.
DON&#39;T WORRY! everything is gonna be alright. I had the same problem. it could take months. But it going to be recovered. I SWEAR!
Hello! How long did it take for you?
Hi, I have left tooth extracted in January 2018 after two weeks extraction, I started to have uncomfortable feeling on and off  at my left low chin. Sometimes, feeling like a electricity passing my chin.Now, it four months passed, I still have the same, come and goes , I am very nervous. Will I have recovery ?
Not sure if anyone still posts on here anymore, but I'm 4.5 years out from wisdom teeth removal and still have paraesthesia of my entire chin, lower lip, and gums.  If anyone is still on here, I was wondering if you ever experienced ear issues way after getting your wisdom teeth out.  Lately I've been having a lot of clicking/popping/fullness.  Since I believe that the nerve is still trying to heal itself (I get occasional tingles and pain), I often attribute things that I otherwise wouldn't to the recovery of the nerve(s).  So I'm just wondering if the ear issue might be the nerve continuing to wake up.  Probably not, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has experienced ear issues with your paraesthesia (years after getting the teeth out).  
Hello Rachael,
Its been a long time since I have posted.  I have had ongoing acute dysesthesia for about 3.75 years now...mixture of tightness, numbness, electric or burning pain and severe agitation when speaking and eating in particular.  Pretty awful.  Please consider that the nerves ability to regenerate is based upon the severity of the injury to the inferior alveolar nerve.  In my case, the nerve was severely damaged due to my lower rear molar extraction which was very challenging for the facial surgeon that extracted it..   Next week after several visits with nerve specialists, I have an appointment with a leading neurosurgeon.  Intent is to have the nerve gutted to remove my unacceptable pain.  Yes, I will lose sensation....I have had a trial with a nerve block and it is the best I have felt since having the tooth extracted.  This is called a neurectomy to the IAN.
I will be sure to share my finding with the forum here to provide this option for those who have severe injury to the nerve and won't be coming back from it like me.  If you are in considerable discomfort as I am, this may be an avenue to consider.  
I will share my findings with the forum late next week after surgery which is current plan.  I will know more after speaking the neurosurgeon next Wed, Jan 24.

Very best wishes to you and all here that struggle with this nerve injury with profound impact on quality of life.
did it work?
Hi everyone. I had 4 wisdom teeth extracted, BSSO (oral surgeon cuts your lower jaw and pushes it forward, securing with plates) and genioplasty (oral surgeon cuts your chin and secures it in position with a plate). My surgeon never mentioned I was at increased risk for nerve damage but after the surgery I asked for my pre-op x-ray and my roots were on the nerve.

I was pretty much dead numb for 3 months in my lower lip and chin. Oddly the numbness didn't bug me at all, a slight annoyance but hardly a functional issue. I cannot recall any burning/itchiness or pain. When the numbness subsided, which it did almost entirely in about 4-5 months...I was left with a dreadful stiff tight sensation in my lower lip and chin. I feel considerable discomfort when speaking (particularly when moving the lower lip/chin - feels very stiff, hard, inflexible--a tight pull when speaking). It has been 10 months and this feeling has persisted, bothering me more and more each day....I cry everyday about this. Do you think my situation sounds like damage to the nerve? Can the tightness remain even when the numbness is almost entirely gone?
You sound almost identical to lady I corresponded with a bit whom I reached out not long ago to find out how she was doing but didn't hear back.  Sorry to learn you have been in such discomfort.  I have the identical tightness now approaching 4 years which has been mentally challenging beyond belief as you and I know so well.  This Friday, I am going in to have the nerve burned...called Radio Frequency Ablation.  This numbs the nerve with no associated tightness and agitation...and other mixture I have of some burning pain which you don't.  I also have a degree of numbness.  A cocktail of misery basically which many only know too well.  I have stated before here.  A nerve if having devastating damage, will NOT recover.  Others will have recovery.  All depends on the magnitude of injury to the nerve.

You maybe heading for the same place I am going.  I will report after my procedure how my mouth feels.

Best of Luck to you and all with this. Through copious testing I have had including trial nerve blocks, Numbing the nerve is MUCH MUCH better than living with daily tightness and nerve agitation.  I will soon find out.
Post with any questions as I have been at this for a long time.
I sent you a message if thats ok :)
Of course.  I just responded if you check your inbox.
So , how is it Timeheals?

Clint,
I had a very bad experience with Radio Frequency Ablation.  It actually made me much worse and I am trying to cope with it right now as the nerve once again regenerates to some level.  So this whole ordeal has been a nightmare scenario for me personally. What I suggest is...if you are considering a procedure to have your nerve numbed because of debilitating pain, go to the Mayo Clinic or contact John Hopkins.  Don't mess around with something as important as your health.

I am a scientist and still can't figure out what went wrong.  My neurosurgeon at University of Florida will admit nothing.  He won't admit any fault.  I will never even try to speak to him again.

So, my next steps are:
Wait yet another 3 months or so to see what kind of nerve recovery I get.  When the RFA was performed, it made my entire right side of face burn in pain and still does including my tongue on the RHS.  I am a tough guy but this is hard to take.  Gabapentin does almost no good to alleviate pain. Swimming and sleep are the best escape as water cools and soothes the burning.

After more time to see what level of nerve recovery I will get, I am going to contact the Mayo Clinic to see what they can do for me.

I am sure not all RFA procedures for this injury go like this.  Mine has just been a nightmare and I am in way more pain than before.  The procedure also damaged my jaw muscle.  I am hoping for recovery as I had the first time only as many with this...mine was close to worse case first time around due to my molar extraction...I am hoping to get back to where I was which took me close to four years.

I am sorry not to report better news.  My advice to anybody reading this is simply, if in doubt or being on the bubble about enduring tightness or some level of stiffness or benign livable discomfort, chose NO surgery or intervention because of the risk of it going bad.  But if you decide to have a procedure done to escape some level of daily torture, seek the best medical experts in the world.  My understanding is...the Mayo Clinic has the best doctors for trigeminal neuralgia...my symptoms are now full blown TN.  If others know differently that there is a definitive hospital with the best nerve therapy somewhere in the US or world, please post.

Good luck Clint and to all.
No man ,  no no no .

This is what I feared was wrong when you never commented back .

Damnt dude , you have been so unlucky in all this it’s unreal , mind boggling unreal .

They say that me personally won the bad luck lottery for Having such bad nerve damage for a broken jaw
Being that 99 percent of broken jaws don’t cause
Nerve damage in the first place,mine is like this becaise mainly I was sucker punched , and the angle
And the exact spot where I was not is why I’m so u lucky or else there would of been none
I also got unlucky with my surgeon placing a fish damned screw in my nerve canal , YES
You heard that right , IN MY CANAL of my already compromised inferior alveolar nerve !!!

He did the same thing to me and acted like it
Wasn’t his fault or problem until I got another oral surgeon involved and he told him he better remove that crap ASAP . I even had a screw come out of my intra oral tissue and fall out of my mouth that was suppose to hold my titanium plate in place. So only 60
Days after my first invasive surgery I had to go back in
So that alone is impossible to ever come from having double surgeries on the same area in 60 days
But it dont stop there , shall I keep going ?
Well this same surgeon couldn’t sew back up my gums
So instead of taking a small graft from the top of my mouth he decided to try a procedure he read about at one point in his life AND stitched my cheek ridge to my whole gum line FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE

Can you imagine how it feels to have your inner cheek stitched to your gums ??? I’m so pissed at him for causing all these extra problems on top of an already hard to handle sensory nerve damage but I’m trying to move on.

Damnt though Timeheals,I wanted to tell you to avoid
The Radio Frequency Ablation becaise Of something I read on Sciental.net but I knew your case was unique
And you wanted any hope you could get at some kind of improvement for your future .

Now where you really just blew my mind is that your are saying you have Trigimenal Neuralgia .....
No way can that be exactly what you are feeling
Now ?Maybe worse feelings than before but
are you saying it really feels similar to this 24/7

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd7jQTNSoEI

I’m really just exhausted now for the both of us
I can’t lie , not trying to dull the problem for you
Or take away any substance from your situation
But thank god I at least got to go 60 years before this happened, could you imagine it happening at age 30?

And without a doubt your so called neurosurgeon fukked up in some way or another becaise RFA
Procedures are done all the time for nerves in the neck and the spine and it doesn’t lead to this

Saddest things about doctors are they are just humans at the end of the day and can only feel so much empathy when it comes to them possibly being at fault
They will use cognitive dissonance directly in your face
then just say we told you of the risks and have a good life .

I do want to tell you that I’m purchasing a
LLL laser therapy for my own personal use
I have scoured the Internet and found the best possible laser for us is a class 3b 808 1000 mw low level light therapy laser . It goes deep enough , up to 6 cm
Into the skin to hit all the ligaments,tissue,bone,and even the nerve at a cellular level using
photobiomodulation that is backed by string legit medical science . It is crucial for it to be done within the first year , I’m at 15months but will report immediately
Once it arrive and I treat myself with it for a few sessions .

I’m not a religious man but I’ll pray for you ok
I’ll do this because this isn’t fair for you
We are both suffering but outside of me being younger
And having to go through my younger years like this
Your suffering is greater due to how compromised it all is now , and this isn’t fair because you have always kept a level head and tried your best to give others hope on here .....so I hate to see this is how it has turned out .. keep in touch ok man and best of luck to all of us

Your buddy , Clint
Timeheals ?

It feels nothing like the feeling when they numbed it

See I always wondered about that , like how do they really

Know unless it’s happenned to them , it’s all guesswork

How could they really tell you how it would feel to have it Ablated

By a simulation of a numbing

Just pisses me off all around

Would you please explain what everything feels like

from day to day ?

Like you still have the tightness,agitation

As well as burning now ? Or is it burning and stabbing

Pain feelings in mouth and face

I was feeling better , now lip tightness and discomfort rearing it’s ugly head. Gotta hold on to hopemas some have said they noticed more normal feelings after 18 months , which is where I’m almost at right now

Was hoping for more input from ya Timeheals
But I understand
how is the tightness now?
Hi Clint,

It looks like this thread is dead and no one is posting but I appreciate if you tell me how is your LLL laser treatment going?
I had a trauma to my lingual nerve after wisdom tooth extraction which resulted in paresthesia of my right side of the tongue, luckily I was able to escape from damage to my lip and chin. It has been now exactly one year but I still have the "burning" feeling which has been a nightmare to me for the past year.

I was wondering if this laser treatment can ease this burning sensation.

best of luck.
Sorry , I didn’t end up getting it

Turned out to not trust the source thenlaser was coming from

I’m surprised timeheals doesn’t check in anymore

All you can do is take care of yourself and hope for the best
I have been following this thread but it looks like it is dead now.
I had a trauma to my lingual nerve after extraction of wisdom tooth which caused me the so called paresthesia on my right side of the tongue. It has been exactly a year now with considerable improvement but I still have this tightness and burning sensation that is driving me nuts. Luckily the paresthesia is only on my tongue

Did anyone had these same symptoms and whether you were able to find any type of treatment?

best of luck.
Hi! Here's my story in 2014 I got 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted during surgery I felt this sharp electric shock (I didn't go under) didn't think much of it then I was on mess so the face bing numb I didn't notice it. Until a few day letter while brushing my teeth I had a sharp pain kind of like electric shock or cramp going through my tounge. I knew so,etching was off. I also experienced drippy crawly severe itching the first few weeks. I drank water and it felt like it was coming out of my mouth basically dripping down my chin when In fact wasn't. I experience tightness in chin and teeth feeling pulled,cramped or too tight. It's going to be 4 years in October 2018 since surgery. I have not fully recovered all symptoms got better I learned to live with it. Pretty upset oral surgeon didn't mention the risk since he saw x rays and could have let me know. I went through the same emotions everyone expressed in the forum. This is my first time sharing my experience but I would always read this thread of hope for it to hopefully regain 100% feeling.  I have hope I'll recover from this still. I suffer from hypersensitivity to hot or cold. When I bite into a war, burger it feels like the burger just came out it burns and I o viously react to re,icing it from my mouth. I have over compensated by chewing on my right. I do stretches with my mouth tounge. I feel tightness once in a while I feel pressure it's just odd. It doesn't really effect my quality of life as much as it did in the beginning sometimes I forget about it. Other times like I said when I eat I'm reminded of it. However I'm still trying to chew war,,spicy, cold on my left side to feel it even if it hurts in hopes that it willl wake up my never to normalcy again by continuing to use it. I am now looking to oral surgery to correct my bite and have a symmetrical face but I know the risk I run is to again are the nerves or making my left chin and lip permanently like this. I'm at a crossroads because I live with a small portion of my face impacted and not sure if I want to go through same or more nerve damage. I don't know if it's worth it. I'd be doing the le fort surgery along with joint replacement with supposedly one of the best oral surgeons in California located here in San Diego where I live. His name is Dr. Joel Berger a top oral surgeon ( he didn't perform my wisdom extraction). It's not a need i can live with how my jaw is now but I feel like as I get older it's going to be more pronounce and not aesthetically pleasing as I get older and lose the fat in my face. Everyone who looks at me doesn't notice this as much I do. I think I'm more likely going to do it because I'm 29 I have more chances at a better recovery right now that if I wait to get older. I'll post again if there's any changes or how my oral surgery went. If anyone has similar story as mine. I'd love to hear any feedback.
did the tightness in your chin get better? I have tightness in my lower lip and chin. It is very aggravating and it does affect my quality of life. Sometimes I think it has loosened up and other times I feel like its just as bad as every. The tightness is only bothersome when I speak. I also still speak crooked (my lips move crooked). Anyways I had 4 wisdom teeth removed, BSSO and genioplasty in one surgery. Personally I regret the surgery (everyday). In my opinion, I look worse. I had a very slight overbite. My surgery wasn't planned well. If you go ahead, I strongly suggest more than one consult and also ask your surgeon for before/after photos of other patients who have a similar bite to you.
There’s some days I feel tightness but most days I guess my brains tunes IG out and I don’t feel tightness. For example today if I think about I know there’s something off in my chin but it doesn’t bother me. Again, it’s been 4 years so it’s gradually either gotten better or I’ve just learn to live with it. I’m going back in forth on the oral surgery double jaw surgery with joint replacement because of the nerve damage. If I hadn’t experience nerve damage on my wisdom tooth extraction I think I would just go for it. But the fact that I know what can happen it terrifies me and I also wonder is it worth it! My case is not that bad I hear people have headaches, migraines, sleep apnea which u don’t suffer from. I do sleep with my mouth open and tend to breathe from mg mouth and have trouble when exercising breathing through my nose but that’s about it. How long has it been since your surgery ? I hear most people who have jaw surgery tend to regret it the first 6 months because of pain and the facial changes you go through but after around the 1 year mark they love the results and don’t regret getting it done. You may need more time.  
Thank you. It's been a year and a half. Unfortunately, I think I will always regret getting it down. It has taken so much happiness away from me this year and I don't see any benefit it my case. Search for oral surgery support groups on Facebook, there are a couple jaw surgery groups I'm in. You can see a bunch of different cases, outcomes etc. I will say I am in the minority of people who regret it, a lot are happy.
As you said CHIN, these types of injuries unfortunately do take so much happiness from us. I had my injury more than a year ago and it has been one of the worst years of my life.
Take care.
Timeheals,

Did you visit Mayo Clinic and whether they offered you any type of treatment?
Actually I contacted them a while ago and I was given a response that there is no definitive treatment for such traumas to lingual nerve, which is my case, but did they did not give anymore details.
If you have any positive feedback from them please share it with us.
Clintk.....updates?
Same old,  same old , almost 3 years later

Feels better , then regresses

Its truly hard to tell how much you've improved

I say this because,  your not sure if you have improved or just become more used to it

What's your story
Nerve injury following dental work :(

Can I ask what your most bothersome symptoms are and have you tried anything to find some relief? Has this ruined your life?
Nerve injury following dental work :(

timeheals....updates?