Dental Health Forum

Numb Lips

I recently had one of upper first Bicuspid teeth break, No pain associated with the breaking of the tooth. Previously repaired cavity.  Anyway I asked my dentist to go heavy with the novacain cause I'm kind of a whimp when it comes to drilling and that stuff.  All went well and a temporary crown was set in place until a a permanent crown can be made.  After the novacain wore off my lips stay numb & tingly pretty much all the time especially after I wake up in the morning. I beleive they are actually fatter because you know when squish your lips like a kiss and suck air through them to make a noise like when your calling a puppy to come, well no noise is made just like air swishing and one more thing the inside of my lips feel alittle chalky.  Weird.  Any ideas?  Oh yea,  It's been like this for like 2 1/2 weeks.

Thanks.
It is unusual that  the numbness in this area should last so long. If in fact it is from the injection a nerve may have been traumatized, if that is the case the numbness will last awhile( I am not sure how long) and in all likelyhood will return.
you might have possibly gotten a parasthesia, however, those are pretty uncommon in the upper lip since it is hard to damage a nerve in the upper arch...it's very common in say for ex lower wisdom teeth extraction, but not uppers as much
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.