Dental Health Forum

Pain from Teeth Cleaning

I had my teeth cleaned last Wednesday (one of my two yearly dentist visits) and since then my jaw is sore (I do have TMJ). However, a secondary problem is not being able to eat properly (my mouth and throat is sore), making it painful to eat. I have never had this problem before after a dental cleaning.
Sounds like you may have trismus from the dental cleaning.  

Did your doctor give you any injections for your cleaning?

I would recommend some stretching exercises, warm towel placement on the muscles, and anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen if its safe for you to take.  It may take a few days to weeks to get complete relief.  

As always, you can call your dentist and let him know what's going on.

If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.