Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Community
7.48k Members

Pain/infection after Titanium Post Insert

On Jan 10 I had a titanium post inserted into my # 30, a previous root canal tooth (from several years ago).  The next day I was in pain, and the pain continued to worsen, including some pretty severe jaw pain.  The dentist adjusted the bite, then assumed it was infection, so put me on 10 day penicillin.  Nearing the end of that, I developed swelling on the outside gum, the dentist put me on 7 day clindamycin.  The swelling has decreased, the pain is nearly absent, but with 2 1/2 days left of the antibiotic, I have been feeling "twinges" in the tooth.  If this course of treatment doesn't work, what should happen next?  
3 Responses
I am wondering if the antibiotics are a way to increase the amount of time you have to wait more than a cure. I have a bump/abscess at the top of the gum right now and actually had the entire procedure. I have relatively low pain but it just started and I know if gets worse. I hope I don't lose my tooth completely. Let me know how this works. I feel like I am driving myself mad researching what is going on.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Taking a dental x-ray to rule out root frature is advised.
One question... why was the titanium post inserted after so many years??
Have an Answer?
Top Dental Answerers
taipei, Taiwan
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.