Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Community
7.51k Members

Periodontist - Buccal Fat pad?????

I initially had a problem with a hole in my gum as a result of an implant in the rear molar.  My periodontist has been trying to graft the area with tissue from my cheek & pallete in order to close the gap between an implant and gum.  This has been going on for months but not 100% successful.  Today, when he opened an existing flap before re-suturing, a buccal fat pad revealed itself making it difficult for him to suture the gum closed.  He said he'd never seen this before and put in a call to an oral surgeon who told him it was a fat pad.  He tried to push the fat pad back under the gum and resture it but it turned out to be a very difficult procedure as it kept on popping out.  

He finally sutured it, but you can see the fat pad between the sutures.  He's hoping that the sutured gum will heal over the fat pad.  This repair has been a nightmare and he's not sure the gum will  heal over the fat pad.  Any feedback on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Dental Answerers
taipei, Taiwan
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.