Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Recurring abscess

Hi,

I had crown done following the root canal treatment on 14th tooth 3 years ago due to a regular recurring abscess. After the root canal treatment and crown, i used to get abscess at exactly the same location every now and then but that time with no pain. A month ago the abscess recurred again after a long while, so i went to a dentist (a different this time since i have moved places). He suggested that the previous root canal was not done properly and that the crown had to be removed. After removal of the crown, and second root canal treatment, we compared before-and-after x-ray that clearly indicated the difference.

However during my first visit to my new dentist, he had pushed and popped the abscess, the next day i got up with temprature, headache and ill feeling that lasted a week. since i could make no connection between the temrature, headache and my ongoing dental treatment, i did not complain. but yesterday i went for a visit again because of a recurring abscess again, and this morning for the 3rd time i got up with headache, slight temprature, swollen neck glands and ill feeling.

I fear of infection being spread far deep inside the bone or elsewhere, would that be possible? and what steps should i follow? and finally would a head scan will help to see whether the infection has spreaded far up?

Thank you
Gokhan
1 Responses
540545 tn?1377626518
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Its possible that the abscess is still present and that you are still getting symptoms from the bacteria.  Did your dentist prescribe antibiotics at all during the course of treatment?  He may want to do that possibly. Also, taking an x-ray to see if the area has healed or if there's a problem may be a good idea as well.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.