Removing non-impacted wisdom teeth

My dentist recommends removing my non-impacted wisdom teeth (I'm 45). The teeth lean just slightly forward and the x-ray shows a small "space" behind the teeth. He believes that these spaces may eventually form cysts and infection and could cause problems in surrounding teeth.  I often have gum soreness around the teeth and sometimes bite the gums. Other than the gum problems, I have no pain or problems with the wisdom teeth.  I broke one wisdom tooth several years ago and had it pulled. Of the 3 remaining teeth two have fillings, one of which is failing and needs replacing.  Does it make sense to have them removed now, when I'm not having a problem with the teeth themselves?
There are varying opinions on this one.  But, if your dentist, with the assistance of radiographs, feels you should have them removed for preventive reasons then it is a good idea.   You could probably leave them and risk infection, periodontal problems, caries or pulpal issues that may take years (or sooner)  to develop or nip it in the bud and extract them.  Ultimately the decision is yours.
if the gum tissue is consistently irritated despite good hygiene efforts, that's good enough reason for me to remove them. the potential to form cysts, however is not. if there are no cysts now and you go for regualr checkups that situation can be monitored, and it is not so likely to happen as to warrant extraction of those teeth "just in case" cysts form. The other thing to keep in mind is that wisdom teeth are difficult to keep clean, especailly in front of and behind them (which is why your gums are irritated) .cavities form more easily in these teeth, and on the back surfaces of the molars in front of them. if that happens, now you would have to remove the wisdom teeth anyway simply to gain access to the back surfaces of the 2nd molars in order to remove the decay, which is difficult anyway due to their location in the mouth.  If the extractions do not seem to be complicated, and risk of complications is low, if it were me i'd remove them if you cannot control the irritation and keep them clean/cavity free.
If I do proceed with having them removed, do I face any problems with shifting of other teeth?
nope...  teeth drift forward, not backwards.

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Forum

If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
The first signs of HIV may feel like the flu, with aches and a fever.
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.