Seeing an endodontist is advised.
Well I just went to the dentist AGAIN this morning. He found a small abscess at the end of my tooth, which he drained. He stuffed my tooth with foam to help it continue to drain. I hope this was the cause of my pain and discomfort, but I wont know until the numbing wears off.
Once you are done with that tooth, I would find a new dentist. You are right to believe that decay should not move that fast. And your dentist should have at least credited your old filling back, since it failed.
I think I will take your advice. It is so hard because I've known him (my dentist) for years and years. I just recently started going to him for teeth cleaning, and to just stop going after all he had tried to do.
As for a tooth update. I'm actually doing a lot better. I slept through the night and I have only taken 3 pain pills in 24 hours, which is amazing since I was taking them every 2-3 hours prior to yesterday.
Hmmm now I should get to finding a new dentist. 1800-Dentist here I come!
It's been a little over a week (12 days) since my crown was placed back on after they drained my abscess. I'm now having some crazy sinus headache and pain in my cheek.
The pain stems from my #18 (molar back bottom left). My cheek pain almost feels like its in my salivary gland. You know when you taste something that is really bitter or seat and you get sharp pains in your cheek, that's what my pain is, only constantly. For the past 3 days I've had this sinus headache on my left side. Advil or Tylenol wont help.
I don't have an apt with my dentist until March 10th which is when he will fill my root canal.
I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm finding a new dentist, but with the money I have already paid for the root canal and other on lay fillings I don't see going to anyone else until these issues are taken care of. Not only am I having pain with this root canal but another one of my fillings that he filled the same time I was fitted for my temporary crown way back when (January 12th) is now starting to ache. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that tooth. Do I want until I get to another dentist and have him examine it?
Getting a second opinion is never a bad idea, and there is no need to wait.
If you keep having problems with this tooth, please do what Scottma told you to do in the first entry...Go to an endodontist (they are specialists who do root canals). After my experiences, I will NEVER allow a regular dentist to do another root canal, especially on a molar. It will cost more usually, but the money you save by letting a regular dentist do the procedure will be wasted when you either have to lose the tooth or have the root canal redone or both. I know the resulting frustration and pain and expense you are going through too well. The endodontist is the best step you can take next. To anyone else reading this post, pay the money for an endodontist and get the job done right. Let us know what happens.