Severe to mild mouth pain after silver filling replaced

I had a silver filling that was beginning to decay-the tooth was not really causing me much pain except minor sensitivity to hot and cold. I had three teeth filled w/ white fillings (two silver one new). The new is fine, the teeth w/ old silver are bothering me.
After a few more visits to the dentist I finaly had the fillings redone (15,&31). Neither tooth hurts when I chew now (only after eating). They are both very sensitive to hot and cold but the one (31) tooth still throbs randomly (waking me up at night). As long as I keep taking ibprofrin I am okay, there are no problems besides the sensitivity and throbbing. I know that white fillings take a little longer to get adjusted to, how long should I wait before I go back?
My dentist has a few interns working w/ him, and the Dr. kept mentioning something about the assistant not curing properly. Could this be my problem?
The Dr. said that if I didn
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Before you decide on the root canal i would have the filling removed and a sedative one placed. If this does not work then the rct can always be done. If in fact the composite filling was not sufficiently cured this can be the cause of the problem. Don't rush into the doing the rct unless it is absolutely necessary. Give the tooth a little while longer to calm down and consider the sedative filling.
Helpful - 0
Thanks so much for your suggestions I will give them a try! =)
Helpful - 0
in my practice when a "white" composite filling was placed and the tooth became bothersome like yours, i considered removing the white filling, placing a medicated base, and then refilling the tooth with silver. White fillings in my experience cause pain when they are deep. I was able to avoid doing root canals on these teeth in many cases by doing this. if the tooth was still painful at that point, then I might move in the root canal direction. bt each tooth is different. Your dentist knows the tooth. If you are not confident with who is treating you, you should not be getting care in that office.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Forum

If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.