Dental Health Community

Should I be financially responsible for unnecessary dental procedures?

Having sharp pain in upper right molar when chewing.

1st visit: exam/xray (no sign of cavity), dentist grinds down tooth to "relieve possible pressure point".

Pain still present.

2nd visit: 2nd exam/xray (still no visible cavity), fills tooth anyways. During filling doctor says "cavity is deeper than I thought."

Same pain still present.

3rd visit: Dentist grinds tooth to relieve more possible pressure points. Very painful when grinder hits specific spot on tooth.

Pain still present. Now tooth has additional severe pain with cold/hot temperatures.

4th visit: Dentist needs to examine tooth and may refer me to root canal specialist.

Why is it that I will be charged for the filling only to have to be referred to a speciallist to remove the filling and conduct a completely separate procedure?