Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Community
7.49k Members

Skin grafts for receeding gums

I have receding gums on one of my bottom teeth that resulted from a permanent retainer. (The retainer moved my teeth too rapidly, I was told, and within two weeks, my gums started to recede.) Anyway, according to my oral surgeon, the recession is now at level 3 and ready for a skin graft. However, I've heard several stories that such grafts are not terribly effective. What is the success rate?  
2 Responses
COMMUNITY LEADER
Seeing a periodontist for second opinion is advised.
i had a bad accident over two years ago,it has taken all this time to get my implants in still waiting for the cap then i need a skin graft for the gums cause the accident did a lot of damgae to my teeth and gums,wondering how long does it take for that to heal once they do it and is it a chance that it might not take when done ,then what happens, thanks jennifer
Have an Answer?
Top Dental Answerers
taipei, Taiwan
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.