Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Community
7.47k Members

Small Lump on Gum

I recently got my tooth extracted (Thursday the 26th). It is healing nicely and all but, there is a bump where the dentist had to cut the gum. When I press on it, it is semi painful. What could this be? What should I do?
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi there,
After tooth extraction there is some swelling and inflammation at the site where the teeth are pulled out. As the cavity left by the tooth fills in, there may be a residual bump as the tissue matures and heals. It is also possible that the removal of a tooth typically leaves a sharp, prominent edge of bone at the rim of the socket. The gum can easily heal over these edges, the overlying soft tissues are vulnerable to injury if pressure is applied. Since the gum was cut at that particular site it is possible that  it will pain for some time due to injury and inflammation.
I suggest that you return to your dentist to have your lump properly assessed, identified, and managed as needed. A clinical examination is very important.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted. Kind regards!
Have an Answer?
Top Dental Answerers
taipei, Taiwan
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.