Dental Health Forum

Still Numb

I had a surgical tooth extraction this past Friday. I was given general anesthesia & it was for my back bottom molar (#31 if I remember correctly). The spot where the tooth was is not in any pain but everything surrounding it still is. I expected my mouth to be sore & unable to open fully still but the numbness has not subsided at all. The right side of my bottom lip, down to my chin, right bottom teeth & gums, cheek, it's all still very numb. I'm positive this is nerve damage but I'm very concerned that this is permanent. Any suggestions or insight?
You should go back to your dentist and let him/her know about it.  Numbness may come from the extraction site or it may be due to the anesthetic injection.  When we give shots, sometimes it can hit the nerve and cause some numbness until the nerve heals.  The nerve also might have been traumatized by the extraction.  It may take up to 6 months for a full recovery.  Your dentist should be aware and should monitor the nerve to see how it progresses.
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.