Swollen gum above wisdom teeth area

Just yesterday the area above my left wisdom tooth began to swell. At first it was a little annoying, but now it is downright painful to the point where I cannot sleep. Though my wisdom teeth have started growing, they have not yet grown past the gum (I am 20 years old). My right side is fine.

Is this a result of my wisdom teeth growing even further? Or is it an infection? I cannot close my mouth without biting into it and I think the blood may have come from me biting down in my sleep. I can't even eat without tearing up. The adjacent molar also aches, and I am scared that if it was an infection that it may be spreading. Any insight would be appreciated! Thank you.

(I have a picture but I can;t find anywhere to post it.)
I would recommend seeing a dentist.  Its possible your wisdom tooth is infected and requires treatment, including possibly an extraction.  
I think you need to meet with oral and maxillofacial surgeon or your dentist that can remove (extract) a wisdom tooth, if you are at high risk for complications. Else your doctor may suggest you antibiotics to help heal the infection.

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Forum

If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.