Dental Health Community

Swollen painful cheek/jaw

On Wednesday (5 days ago) I had a really bad toothache. It was on a lower right side molar that I have had problems with in the past. Since I don't have dental insurance I haven't had it checked out for about 4 years. I decided to put some oragel on it and take some aleve for the pain.

On Thursday and Friday the pain from the tooth worsened and nothing was easing it. Friday afternoon I decided to call a dentist and schedule an appointment, the soonest they could get me in is Tuesday 10/2.  

Saturday the pain continued and was just as bad. The only difference is that I was also seeing some swelling in my right cheek and jaw line. No one else seemed to notice it until I pointed it out.

Now it is Sunday morning and I woke to find my cheek and jaw line severely swollen. The tooth doesn't really hurt anymore but now it is the whole lower right side of my face. From under my ear (at the joint) all the way to my chin is tender, tight and swollen. Instead of having a curved jaw line, it's almost completely square on the right side. The right side of my lower lip is noticably raised. Also when I run my tongue between my teeth and cheek I can feel a lump.

What's wrong with me? Should I go to urgent care or wait to see the dentist on Tuesday?
I think you have a tooth abscess and it can only be solved by a dentist. Good luck.