Dental Health Forum

Terrible Toothache

I have an absolutely horrible toothache. It's been going on for about a week I believe, and I can't seem to do anything to stop it. I've already lost a tooth next to the one that is in constant pain, I don't want to lose this one!

I'm just wondering what it could be, and how I could stop it? I've tried painkillers, and a gel that's supposed to numb the pain. Nothing. I'm actually writing this because it woke me up after only an hour of sleep.

I know the most obvious solution is a dentist, but I don't have dental insurance and simply can't afford it at this time.
Well the appropriate treatment is a root canal most likely.  If its too severe, it may need to be removed to relieve the pain.  There's no real home remedy to fix it at this stage.  It'll probably worsen over time and may potentially abscess.  In some cases, the pain may stop because the nerve will die inside the tooth.  But that indicates that the infection has spread deep into the tooth and it can continue to spread into the jaw bone, rest of the head, down the neck, etc.
Also, I forgot to mention that my tooth is VERY sensitive to anything cold, it makes the pain even worse. But, hot foods or liquids feel just fine.
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.