Dental Health Community

Tongue Problems - Please help

I have a quick question for members on the forum and would appreciate your response.

A few weeks back, I seem to get a feeling that my tongue was "cut", it looked bumpy from couple of places. I dont take any medicine, but was going through a period of high annxiety/stress. Dint get anything else in my mouth, lips or cheeks. At the same time I was having tongue troubles I was having some burning/pain like sensation that extended from my thoart and went all the way down till where my throat ends. It was worse sometime and OK at other times. This too went away on its own after some time and the tongue also felt better in a couple of days. I am wondering if someone can tell me what could be going on?    

What is worrying me now is that the tongue seems badly "cut" again (near the tip of the tongue) from 2 places (close to each other). I got some burning like pain for sometime but felt OK other times. I looked at my tongue and there is a very mild white coating that is not coming off. It seems worse towards the end of the tongue. I can also see some bumps, but they dont pain. Despite all this I dont have any canker sores in my mouth or any other symptoms anwhere in my body. Its been more than 2 weeks and the cuts dont seem to be getting better. I was wondering if someone can help and let me know what is going on. I cant seem to find a good source to solve this.

Is this Thrush? Or is it Stomatatis? What is it?
Are there any tongue issues related to stress?
Finally, please tell me when someone says "oral ulcers" as a means for clasifying symptoms, do they include tongue issue or not?

Thanks for your help
COMMUNITY LEADER
non-wipable-off oral white lesions are commonly frictional keratosis.The source of irritaion is generally sharp edge of tooth.
hi scottma, thanks for replying to my posting. i am wondering if you can also tell me the reason why my tongue was cut in the first incident. i am also going through an HIV scare (low risk exposure) and read somwhere that "oral ulcers" are associated with primary hiv infection. since my first incident involved my tongue, i was not sure if what i had with my tongue can be bucketed into oral ulcers?

Also, i have had some tongue cuts in the past, but not as severly as this time. I also dont seem to have cut my tongue from my teeth, so not sure if this is keratosis.

Fianlly, can you give me some leading indicators for oral thrush or stomatis so that i can check for myself...

COMMUNITY LEADER
Tongue cut is genarally caused by rough surface of teeth or by incidental bite. Without the presence of teeth or intraoral device, it's highly unlikely to get soft tissue trauma.oral thrush is an entity caused by candida albicans infection. Stomatitis refers to imflammation of mouth, which is non-specific .
hi scottma,

thanks again. can this trauma be casued by eating spicy food? i remember eating something spicy a couple of days before i started getting developing the "cuts" on the tongue. Can these cuts be casued by annxiety/stress also? my cuts on the tongue are not causing me any pain right now. Is this normal, but its been about 2 weeks and it doesnt seem to be getting better?

finally, does oral thrush casue any pain?
COMMUNITY LEADER
If oral mucosa is traumatized mechanically or chemically, the wound generally heals up in 10-14days. Allergic reaction may be triggered by foods, not necessarily restricted to spicy food. Once the "cut" heals up, you can test the suspicious food again to verify if it is the culprit.Anxiety/stress may be associated with immune system dysfunction and development of oral lesions. I do'nt know if there is hard evidence to establish the correlations.Candidiasis may cause pain, however, some patients are asymptomatic.
COMMUNITY LEADER