Dental Health Community

Tooth Abscess

I went to see the dentist this past Saturday.  I have a tooh abscess - with swelling in the cheek area.  My dentist started me on antibiotics.  My question is, how long will it take for the swelling to go down?  It's been approximately 48 hours and it still feels about the same size.  What would happen if it were to burst?  At what point would I need to go to the ER.
COMMUNITY LEADER
It appears that the infection source is dental origin. Seeing a dentist to deliver appropriate dental treatemnt is advised.
Get some "Oral-B Amosan" oral wound cleanser at the Drug Store. It comes in a small box with 20 packets and cost around $10 USD. Open one packet and make a Thick Paste by adding a few drops of warm water. Then apply the Paste to the area on your gum that is blowing up from the abcess. Let the Paste sit on your gum 10 min. or so and the abcess or (balloon) will eventually open and drain. Try not to swallow the pus and you can then rinse with another packet that you mix following the directions on the package. This will take the pressure off and provide a lot of relief. Hope This Helps!!

http://www.smiledentalplan.com