Dental Health Forum

Tooth abscess and root canal re-treatment

I had a root canal done on tooth #29 about ten years ago after an injury to the tooth. All seemed well until I noticed a swelling under this tooth a few weeks ago that hurt when pressed. I called the dentist and was told I had an abscess. She prescribed me 150mg Clindamycin over ten days for the infection and referred me to an endodontist. The endodontist retreated the root canal a couple weeks later. A few hours after the retreated root canal became horribly painful and I noticed some swelling. The swelling continued to intensify and spread to my cheek. I called my endodontist and he prescribed me amoxicillin (500mg). The next day I went to the endodontist and they made an incision to allow the abscess to drain. I was also given a prescription for metronidazole (500mg) to take in addition to the amoxicillin. Thankfully the swelling in my cheek subsisted, however I still have a fair amount of swelling and tenderness in my gum under the retreated root canal and my jaw hurts a little. How long should it take for the swelling and tenderness in my gum under my tooth to go away? Is there any chance of this infection spreading to my cheek again as I am now finished with my antibiotics? Should the tooth be treated again or extracted? When they open the area again to permanently seal the root canal or do any other work is there a possibility of the infection spreading?
That's a tough question.

What did your endodontist say?

They could remove the tooth if the infection is severe enough.  

They could also attempt another retreatment although I don't think that's likely to change much.  They could also attempt to do an apicoectomy which is an incision made on the side of the gums and they can attempt to retrofill it from the bottom of the tooth instead of from the top of the chewing surface.  Or if the antibiotics work and the swelling improves, they can choose to keep an eye on it.

How long has the swelling and tenderness been there since the retreatment?  Has it been gradually improving over time?
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.