Dental Health Community

Tooth abscess following root canal.

It started with a terrible toothache, once I went to the dentist they noticed on the x-rays I had a severe infection in my front tooth and it had gotten to around my upper jaw. I had the root canal done and after I was prescribed the z-pack antibiotic, I'm allergic to penicillin so I had to take zpack. For the past 3 days I have been incredibly sore, and I have been taking a lot of pain pills and the zpack. My concern is that my abscess feels like it's getting bigger, and I had not even noticed the abscess prior to the root canal. I will be going back to the dentist Thursday.
There are various causes of dental abscess after root canal. Improperly done root canal, cracked or perforated root, reinfection, faulty crown etc are few of them. An improperly done root canal is the commonest cause of abscess after root canal. It may happen that the canals may be very curved or the filling may extend up to the tip and may fall short. There can be an extra canal in the root which might not have filled and can act as a site for multiplication and proliferation of bacteria and formation off dental abscess. Depending on the cause you will need treatment of the cause and appropriate antibiotic course. See your dentist and keep me posted. I sincerely hope it helps.
Best wishes and regards!