A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Community
7.46k Members

Underside of Tongue Keeps Getting Caught After Recent Cleaning

Hello,

I've been looking all over for any answers on this and I can't seem to find anyone with information so I'm asking here as it looks like there is some good communication and response here.

I recently went to the dentist for the first time in many years and I had my teeth cleaned with a sonic scaler, first time I've ever had this done. Ever since I had this done the "strings" and "tendon" under my tongue keep getting caught. I spoke to the dentist about this when I saw her last and she said I would learn to not move my tongue in a way that it would keep happening, but now I've just developed a complex about it. At first it was only the connector tendon that would get snagged, and I mean badly stuck to the point of tearing. So I became very aware and careful when ever I stuck my tongue out of my mouth to say lick my upper teeth. Now recently I've been getting the little dangley pieces caught and tonight I actually tore a piece of one off while I was gargling!
I just don't know what to do, I really feel the hygienist shaved down the tooth in that area and caused a wider gap, because even before I never had this problem in my life and I have no idea what to do now.
Any advise is appreciated, thank you for your time.

-Jen
1 Responses
Hyigenist just clean they dont shave teeth. Smooth Calculus and buildup prob removed with remaining sharp teeth structure. Have your dentist adjust it since it cuts the bottom of ur tongue. Try to break the habit of getting them caught along whereever theyre getting caught. Have dentist remove the excess tissue on ur tongue.
Have an Answer?
Top Dental Answerers
taipei, Taiwan
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.