Dental Health Community

Wisdom Tooth Extraction

I need to have my two bottom wisdom teeth out.  I have EXTREME fear of the dentist.  I have not been to the dentist in 12 years (I am 26) because my last dentist used to scrape plaque off of my teeth and then make me eat it on saltine crackers.  He would drill my teeth without novacaine "to teach me a lesson"  because I used to complain about how my teeth hurt when he drilled.  My parent never belived me when I said this stuff and my dentist would always talk to my father and tell him about how bad of a patient I was.  So anyway after moving out I have never been to the dentist again because they give me horrible anxiety (I have Anxiety Disorder) but I finally needed to go because my wisdom teeth are impacted, so I went and they gave me a sedative something called Triazolam (Halcion) two pills to take hour before procedure each pill was 0.25 mg These did NOTHING, I was a nervous wreck, I was told I would be stumbling, forgetful and need a ride home.  I was fine ad very, very anxious.  So after the dentist realized that the "sedative" did not work AT ALL he made an appointment with an oral surgeon for me.

The oral surgeon is going to use Ativan (Lorazepam) in conjunction with nitrous oxide.  My question is WILL THIS WORK??

Has anyone had this happen to them?  I am so freaked out and worried that this new drug and "laughing gas" is not going to help me at all.

Thank you very much,

Geos