Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Community
7.48k Members

Wisdom tooth at age 48

At age 48 i had a root canal done my bottom right molar, with a filling. The filling never felt quite right even though the dentist tried to correct it. My bite changed and I began feeling the break through of my first and only wisdom tooth on the top right side. Over the last several years(now age 51) these two things have caused my teeth to shift and i now have a gap in the front. is it appropriate to have the wisdom tooth removed(it have out) and get braces?
1 Responses
Me personally, if the wisdom tooth is causing problems, get it pulled. As for the braces, that's something that a dentist or an orthodontist needs to make a judgement call on. I do believe that there are braces for older people that are hardly visible at all if you're worried about cosmetics.

I would also get your bite checked out by another dentist and see if it can be corrected. In fact, I'm surprised that you're not complaining about pain on that side of the mouth, because typically a bite that's off can at times be rather painful because of extra pressure.

If it was me, I get the wisdom tooth pulled and the bite corrected, especially the bite.
Have an Answer?
Top Dental Answerers
taipei, Taiwan
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.