Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Wisdom tooth extraction with painful swollen throat?

Hi, I am 29 years old and 72 hours ago had my lower right wisdom tooth removed.  I went in because I was in a lot of pain and I could have sworn I had already had all wisdom teeth removed in 2004.  The dentist took an Xray and immediately removed the tooth.  He said my root was abnormally long and the roots were fused together.  I started my antibiotics (he said I didn't yet have an infection) and Vicodin immediately.  At about 36 hours my throat swelled and made it difficult to breathe and talk (all I can do is drool and spit- yuk).  My dentist is unavailable to see me but, said this is normal.  I still can't swallow with out a lot of pain but the swelling has gone down a bit.  It feels like a huge lump in my throat and I can trace it on my neck to my jaw under where tooth was taken.  The Pharmacist seemed to think I was having an allergic reaction to the antibiotics and/ or pain meds and told me discontinue immediately.  I cannot get a new prescription until my dentist returns in 5 days.  Is this normal and will it go away?  I have barely eaten (tried to drink soup and yogurt) or drank any water since tooth extraction because of the pain.  I have tried hot and cold compresses but confused of which and how long to apply.  Thanks you for any replies!  
1 Responses
If the swelling is still significant and affecting your airway I would probably go to the hospital.
It sounds like you could have an infection as well as a dry socket.
If you aren't able to see a dentist I would either visit your family doctor or go to the hospital.  Seeing a dentist would be preferable though.

You could try looking up dry socket or previous posts on this forum regarding that.  You might find some information regarding your symptoms and how to treat them there.
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.