Dental Health Forum

abscess on gum that wont go away

I've had an abscess on my gum area that started in my tooth for about a week. I've been on antibiotics (clindamycin 150 MG) for 5 days with painkillers. I've been swollen the entire time and have knot on my jaw. The dentist wont lance it because it hasn't come to a head yet. So, do I go to urgent care, or wait it out to see if it will ever come to a head? Thanks!
So its not progressively getting worse or better?  At this point, it would be good to either increase the dosage of the antibiotics (double it) for a few more days to see it it helps or to drain it/treat the tooth.  It seems the antibiotics are only stabilizing it.

Any medical or health problems that may affect your immune system?  At 150mg, your antibiotic is more bacteriostatic (meaning its not at a high enough dose to kill bacteria but enough to prevent it from worsening).  They sometimes prescribe this dosage to allow the immune system to work and clean the infection.  Also, since its a lower dose, you get less side effects.
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.