Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Community
7.51k Members

abscessed tooth and face swelling

At the start of 2012 a week before school started I began getting a shooting pain in what felt like in my gums and right inbetween my teeth. I endured almost sleepless nights of drooling because the pain was so much that I wouldnt dare move my face. I couldnt eat either, over the counter medicines didnt work. My face then began to start swelling. It was the right side. Parents finally took me to the dentist. Did some tests determined had some sort of infection in the tooth. They did a root canal and the guy cleaned out the inside of the tooth the best he could with antibiotics they said. After that they gave me some more antibiotics to take for about a week or a little more after. Majority of swelling went down. Even after all that and now years later I'm trying to figure out if I still have swelling in my right side from this infection. I heard the infection in these cases usually still resides or even grows if not fully eliminated. I will write three scenarios that raise my suspicion for this all occurring some time after this previous story. I started getting bad acne, the right side of my face looked like it was swelling according to my mother to where she was getting concerned (i was also slightly aware of this). They put me in some sort of antibiotics for all round body that must have been related to treating acne infections. During this time I do remember a short period of time a few weeks into treatment where swelling subsided so I stopped taking meds again. Another later occasion I and my brother were arguing and he called me out making fun of my right side being "swollen". This raised insecurities and I later asked him you think my face is uneven like that? He told me truthfully that my right side has gotten fatter and been that way ever since I got that infection in the tooth.
So I guess what I'm asking is that is the infection from the tooth abscess continuing to cause some recurring swelling in my right side? Are there any tests to determine this? Do you think I should try taking the same antibiotic I did when I had acne and see if any swelling goes down again?
1 Responses
3149845 tn?1506627771
Hi, a simple xray would show any infections.
Have an Answer?
Top Dental Answerers
taipei, Taiwan
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.