asymmetrical tonsils

Every since I was young drs always asked about my large right tonsil. What causes this? Should I b concerned? There is no pain, just large. The left is barely visible. What would cause the tonsil to b this huge?
HI,
Having a large tonsil does not mean that something is terribly wrong. They can be because of repeated throat infection causing chronic tonsillitis. There are scientific journal studies regarding tonsilar asymmetry and it seems that they recommend ruling out a malignant causes since the majority of unilateral enlargements are present in lymphomas. Consult an ENT specialist for an evaluation.
The answer is based on information provided. Exact advice is not possible without a proper examination and investigations. You are requested to consult your Doctor. Take care and keep us posted.
The docs have always told me it was large compared to other. This has been within the last 15 years. I never paid any attention to it t now. Been watching it now for three months no change. With lymphoma, wouldn't I have some tender, swollen lymph nodes? I have no pain anywhere. The tonsil itself is healthy looking tissue to match the rest of my mouth just much larger than the left one that looks like it shrunk. I don't have no throat infection now. Do you mean it could have gotten large from past infections possibly?

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Community