Dental Health Community

cleaning concern

i had my teeth cleaned by a new girl and my teeth and gums are hurting it has been 2 days,she also used a tool that spit water out and looked like a rounded pic,what was that and is that what is causing this?
she said it shattered the plaque with frequencys,has anyone heard of this?
It's called a cavitron.  It does exactly what she said and gives you a much more thorough cleaning than regular scraping.  

Your gums may hurt for a few days after.  Rinse with 1/4 tsp of regular table salt in a glass of warm water  4-5 times a day for a few minutes each time.

The pain should go away in a few days.

Hope this helps,
Best to you Gellia
gellia,i am using the salt water rinse i am going on my third day,i am really getting concerned,it is a little better but my teeth are sensitive and tingling with hot and cold.she was new and i am wondering what if she used the wrong instrument and had scraped my teeth down to cause nerve injury?she also used a gritty substance and a mechanical instrument,just wondering if it is possible if she could of caused some damage? thank you and i really respect your opinion.
What she did is perfectly normal.  Removing plaque from the gumline can cause sensitivity in the teeth themselves.  The dentin gets exposed.  The gritty material is a special paste to remove stains from the teeth themselves.  Your hygienist used a cavitron and then paste with rotary brush to clean the stains.  This is normal procedure for any cleaning.  Be really happy they do this as you get the very best job done.

The problem is when you have alot of plaque along the gumline and down below it.  That exposes the dentin when your teeth are cleaned.  Try using toothpaste for sensitive teeth.  Colgate makes a great one that even whitens.
What can happen is that the area where the plaque is removed has small tubules that lead directly to the nerve.  The toothpaste will fill the tubules up and block the pain sensation.  
Try rubbing a bit directly onto your teeth before you go to bed, too, paying attention to the gumline.  

I wish all dentist would give their pts a tube when they have a deep cleaning.  It can take awhile to work so don't give up hope.  What you are feeling, unfortunately, is perfectly normal after a thorough cleaning.

Hang in there!  Use the toothpaste and let us know how you are doing.

My very best to you,
Gellia
thank you,i purchased sensitive toothpaste and i have been using it.i just cant believe that it hasn't gone yet,it is now on 5 days. i am just going to listen to you and continue with the tooth paste! thank you,i will let you know!
Please do let me know.
GOOD LUCK!

G
gellia,this might sound a little odd,but for some reason my bite is off,i was thinking it was just do to sensitivity and maybe that is all,but i still wonder if there was anyway she could of being new,grabbed the wrong instrument and grinded them or smoothed the tops? i just don't know,any advice on, if that could be done would at least put my mind at ease! if so,how would i be aware? i have had my teeth cleaned and never had this problem,that is why i feel something is wrong.thank you again for all your help,you are truly a caring person
Hi again,
It really would be unlikely that she could grab the wrong instrument.  Hygienists use their own tools and don't have grinding instruments.  Only your dentist can use them.  

If you had alot of heavy plaque your teeth may have shifted a bit.  If you feel your bite is off, you need to see the dentist and have it checked.  They can do this simply with carbon paper (that little blue paper they make you bite).  

Honestly, I don't think anything your hygienist did is giving you the problem.  A cavitron does a very deep cleaning and you do want that.  It gives the very best cleaning a dentist can offer without novocaine being used.  Unfortunately, clean teeth can hurt.  Plaque covers areas where those little tubules are and when it's removed the tubules are exposed.  It's a direct link to the nerve of the tooth. That means you are in pain.
Sealing them up with the toothpaste can really help but it's a slower than we'd like process.  

Try rubbing the paste directly on your gums at the tooth base.  You can do this as many as 5 -6 times a day.  Don't swallow it, that's all.  Just use a small amount.  Again, relief may take as long as two weeks.  

Hang in there.  Do check with your dentist if you feel your bite is off.  It's also possible you are clenching at night and don't realize it because clean teeth can feel different.

I do hope you are starting to feel better.  If you are still in pain after a week, I'd check with him anyway.  

In the meantime, salt water rinses and the toothpaste is the way to go.  

My best to you and please, let me know how you are.
Gellia
Your dentist is the most reliable person that you can ask regarding the effectiveness,whatever the alternatives you apply for your teeth.
nevile, i agree with your statement,however the problem is that sometimes things happen and trying to distinguish between minor problems that will heal on their own verses major problems that need a doctor! i have gotten numerous cleanings with slight discomfort and it has healed,this is not healing,i do not wish to go back to the dentist because i don't want to cause any concern,or get a bunch of unnecessary ex- rays, if this will heal on its own,so i greatly,and i mean greatly appreciate gellia's advice!!!!!!!!!!! she has been extremely informative and i can't thank her enough,i am using her advice for now!!!!!! i think this forum helps people instead of running to the drs for everything! it gives you great information! thank you again
Suszy,
Are you doing any better at all?  I really hope so.  
G
gellia,thanks for your concern,im just worried,not doing better and not doing worse!!!!!! i have not had any problems with my dentist or any of the hygentist,i have been going there for 12 years,i cant just go in and blame some one new  for my teeth hurting and bite being off. i just dont know what to do at this point,i am hoping my teeth will just adapt to a shorter size if she did shave them down,because honestly i dont ever want anyone touching my teeth again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i guess i am asking if naturally they will adjust and if not what is the remedy if the bite is off because of that? can the tooth sensitivity  be caused by an off bite and my teeth banging off eachother? if it doesnt go away in a week i will go back and just say after that cleaning i am experiancing sensetivity and my bite is off and just see what he says,i guess!! thank you again