Dental Health Forum

cleaning concern

i have had a regular cleaning and my teeth feel painful and sensitive to touch. i also feel my bite is off because when i bite down i am hitting teeth i never used to. i do not want to go back to the dentist,i am just asking what you feel as a dr. what could be going on here,i was feeling maybe when she polished the teeth being that she was new she used the wrong instrument,is that possible and would this cause this discomfort? if so what do you do from this point on to get better?please answer, my teeth are really bothering me and please do not tell me to visit the dentist,just looking for your professional advice!!!! thank you! it has been 6 days so far
Well, its hard for me to figure out what happened.  Normally a cleaning doesn't disrupt a bite although it can result in some sensitivity if the gums were severely inflamed and the cleaning irritated the gums.  

Try some sensodyne tooth paste for the sensitivity.  Unfortunately the bite needs to be checked and adjusted possibly although I can't figure out how the bite could be off after a cleaning unless you were open for a long time and your TMJ is irritated/sore and causing your jaw to shift slightly.  If so, try to ice the TMJ area, stretch it out, softer diet and take some anti-inflammatories (that are safe for you, I don't know your medical status).
well,i have great teeth,no medical issues,i thought if she ,on accident,buffed them down,that would cause my bite to be off because the teeth would be shorter,am i correct or not?i do not have tmj and never did! i just want to know ,if something could of happened and how do i get better? i was wondering if i have an infection but my gums look good and there is not any sign of really red areas,if thats what i look for? thank you and if something like that happened would my bite adjust on it's own?
Hm.  The prophy paste that we use should not shave down your teeth in any significant way.  Actually, the major concern for me with the prophy paste is that they go too fast and it can generate heat and hurt the tooth but not polish it down.  

If she used the wrong instrument, depending on the instrument, I could see it happening but I would imagine the polishing cup and a burr used for drilling look obviously different and should not have occurred.  

If the muscles are sore or stretched out, yes, it would return on its own after some time.  You just need to rest it.
dr. Jerome Tsang, i only have three other questions,is there any other tool that looks like a polishing cup that could of done this? if teeth were shortened,would that cause bite to be off and sensitivity,will that correct itself? and like you said if she went to fast and caused heat and hurt the teeth,will that correct itself? could that be what is going on here?
Heat wouldn't cause the bite to be off I don't think.  I wouldn't expect that.

As for an instrument that looks like a polishing cup.  Its possible she may have used a polishing cup designed for removing excess white filling material which is more abrasive.  

The teeth may shift and move and correct itself eventually.  Have you brought up your concerns with your dentist at all?  It would be best to talk to the actual dentist to have them remedy your concerns.
dr.jerome tsang,i did not tell my doctor because i have been going there for 12 years with out any issues. i like them all there and i feel my concern is pointing a finger at the new dental hygienist,i just want this to go on its own,if it heals then i don't look like a fool!!!!!! i can't blame her if i don't know for certain,so what am i to do?????? i will just give it time and hope it clears on it's own! if she did use that polishing cup,wouldn't that cut up my gums? i guess the more questions i ask are pointless,now i just have to trust that it will heal or search for a new dentist at this point, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule!
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.