Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

dental health

I had my lower back molar removed a week ago and my lip is still numb from the injections. I also have swelling in my jaw from the injection site and dont know why, my dentist is just giving me anti inflamatory pills and they dont seem to help what should i do?
1 Responses
540545 tn?1377626518
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
If its continuing to swell, there may be an infection.  You should get it evaluated by your dentist to rule that possibility out.  Also, how long did it take to swell up?  Did it take a few hours or a few days?  

The numbness will need to be re-evaluated too.  Was it a wisdom tooth you got removed?  There's a risk of nerve injury from the extraction or from the injection itself?  It needs to be monitored and observed.  The nerve injury could become permanent but it will take up to 6 months to heal.  If at 6 months it doesn't heal, it is most likely permanent.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.