Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

gum boil with swollen cheek in 9 yr old

My daughter woke up with a swollen cheek on right side, she's had a gum boil there for a few days and I'd been cleaning it with hydrogen peroxide and it was going away but now her face is swollen and the entire top section of her gums on that side is swollen as well. She had tooth work there over a year ago, had a root canal. Is this an infection from this root canal and will the tooth need to be extracted, it's still a baby tooth? Will antibiotics help and how dangerous is this infection?
1 Responses
540545 tn?1377626518
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
If its an abscess it can be very dangerous.  She should get the tooth treated (most likely an extraction is my guess).  Antibiotics should be taken as well due to the infection spreading beyond the tooth and into the cheek/gum area.  
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.