Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Community
7.45k Members

gum swelling

Hello and thank you for your time! About 6 months ago I had a root canal. For the last three days I have some swelling on my gums directly below the root canal. Both swelling and pain are slightly worse every day. I have an appointment to see my dentist in two days, but am not sure if I should attempt to seem her tommorow. When I floss, the floss can slide under the crown and get stuck, so I believe there is a chance a piece of food got stuck and could be causing the swelling.   Thanks again!  
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi there,
A dental examination is very important for determining the exact cause of your symptoms. It is possible that acute abscess has been developing. It is best to get an appropriate evaluation and treatment done. In few cases root canals can fail due to branching and convolutions of the tooth roots. If hidden and branched canals do not get treated effectively it can lead to further complications. See your dentist at the earliest. Treatment will be specific based on the cause.
Best luck and regards!

Have an Answer?
Top Dental Answerers
taipei, Taiwan
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.