Dental Health Community

gum swelling

Hello and thank you for your time! About 6 months ago I had a root canal. For the last three days I have some swelling on my gums directly below the root canal. Both swelling and pain are slightly worse every day. I have an appointment to see my dentist in two days, but am not sure if I should attempt to seem her tommorow. When I floss, the floss can slide under the crown and get stuck, so I believe there is a chance a piece of food got stuck and could be causing the swelling.   Thanks again!  
Hi there,
A dental examination is very important for determining the exact cause of your symptoms. It is possible that acute abscess has been developing. It is best to get an appropriate evaluation and treatment done. In few cases root canals can fail due to branching and convolutions of the tooth roots. If hidden and branched canals do not get treated effectively it can lead to further complications. See your dentist at the earliest. Treatment will be specific based on the cause.
Best luck and regards!