Dental Health Community

hard lump under jaw

i have a hard lump under the bone in my jaw i went to the dentist he gave me antibiotics but they dont seem to be working its really hard and a bit bigger than the size of a tooth its unmoveable and not sore more like pressure what should i do?
Hi again,
Listen, don't be scared.  You're doing all the right things.  I did check your age and it would be highly unlikely that it would be a cancer.  Just wait for your tests results.  That will tell a lot.  

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.  
My very best to you,
Gellia
Did your dentist tell you if it was a lymph node?  If so, they can take a VERY long time to go away.  Think of them as a bacteria grave yard.  They collect the dead bacteria and break it down.  This can take a VERY long time.  

If it is not your lymph node, and you've given the antibiotics time to work, it would probably be in your best interests to have an xray or CAT scan of the area.  

Good luck and let us know how you are.
My very best to you,
Gellia
dentist mentioned that but said he wasnt sure if it was and i went to the dr today and she toke all my blood it feels as hard as a tooth but said cant be a wisdom tooth cos of where it is so need to wait to next week to go bk to dentist plus my blood results. i have been on strong antibiotics since monday and its now thursday he said to take them for 5 days well tomorows 5 days and it aint any smaller actully feels a little bigger tbh im so scared cos i dont know what this is
Don't be scared.  You're doing something about this.  

Did you have an xray?  An xray could tell if it was a rudimentary tooth or something calcified.  A lymph node wouldn't be seen as it is soft tissue.  A node can stay hard for many months after an infection, though.  If you have an ongoing infection, it could also enlarge.  

Your blood test results can tell you if you have an infection somewhere.  Without more information we're still guessing.  

Hang in there.  Knowledge is Power.  

My best to you,
Gellia

Am just a little scared cos i dnt know an the only answer the internet is giving me is cancer so i aint reading them no more lol i hope it is something simple but i,ve not been unwell so god knows get my results on the 7th so see what happens from there thanks gillia x
from what the internet said that kinda cancers common in people 15-34 but im just bout to check the other things u said to see the symptoms of those. i will let u know what dr and dentist say on thursday
I'm pretty sure I know what he's talking about, but I wouldn't speculate until you get further tests results.  There are so many more things it could be than a cancer.  The only way to know for sure may be to have it removed.

Good luck on Thursday!  Please let us know.  I'll be thinking of you and sending good vibes.

Gellia

Thanks x
The lump seems to have either went down a bit today or its moved the behind my jaw bone cos its no longer in the same possition but i can still feel it if i feel behind the bone i just hope it doesnt move behind there and the drs think its gone is it normal for lumps to move possition? Seems to be more into the soft tissue now then b4 it felt like it was on the bone thats why im unsure if its smaller or its just went further up that i can only feel a part of it.
It really sounds like it is an infected lymph node and the antibiotics are starting to help.  A swollen node can take months to go away after being infected so be prepared for it to be there for quite some time.  

I'm sure your dentist will feel it if it's still there.   Even if it did move behind the bone, it could be felt through the bottom of your mouth.

Try not to worry.  It's a very good sign that it has gone down in size.  Do follow through with your appt., though.  It's always best to have any lump or bump that doesn't belong checked.

Let us know how you do.  We love happy endings!

Best to you,
Gellia

im not sure its went down i think its just moved to a softer bit off the bone so its less noticable cos i can still feel it yeah im defo gonna go
ok so the lump seems to have went down a bit i can say that but it is still there but now i can feel a spot in my mouth where the lump will be under PLUS a red spot like thing on my gum next to my tooth dentist tomorow he said he seen an infection on the xray but if was why the antibiotics not take it away and whats with the red bubble like but feels smoth and my mouths a little numb
You may have an infection at the root of a tooth.  The red spot could be the infection trying to make it's way to the surface via a fistula.  The lump is still probably a lymph node that is doing its job and can take quite some time to go completely away.  Many months after an infection has gone away, a lymph node can remain swollen.

Infections can be notoriously stubborn.  Many times a change in antibiotics is warranted.  All you can do is follow what our dentist says and let him keep a watch on it.  

Everything you have sounds normal for a tooth root infection.  Hang in there.  I'm sure this will all resolve itself with time and your dentist's help.  

Best to you and let us know how you are doing.
Gellia
yeah he said its a tooth root infection and it needs to come out or the lump wont totaly go away so thats it all sorted soon hopefully still havent been able to get blood results off the dr even tho i know its nothing serious
I'm glad you've been able to at least get a diagnosis and that it will be resolved.

Good luck and let us know how you are.

Best to you,
Gellia