husband has mysterious symptoms/sore throat

My husband had a decayed smell in mouth and now a swollen throat, when he takes anitbiotics the smell goes away.  The dentist seems to be working on the wrong tooth , my husband is not sure where the problem is but I can smell it come back as soon as he stopped taking antibiotics, but he won't let me try to find it myself and now that he is taking antibiotics it will be harder to find.  Shouldn't the x-rays show the problem?  He has a bridge in the area we think the problem is, can the bridge hide the problem? He has more appointments ahead but we are afraid if the infections continue it could go into his blood and the Dentist acts like it is not that bad and even gave us a hard time re-filling the antibiotics.  My husband went to a urgent care Dr. to try to get more antibiotics but they just said his throat looks beat up and wants to send him to a ear nose and throat.  We are low income and have little dental insurance and  David has no Dr. visit insurance, so this is becoming expensive. I understand money can not be an issue in health matters but it is very frustrating as in my gut I believe it is a tooth problem that is not being taken seriously and not a ear nose and throat problem ( they did a strep test also-not sure of outcome) He has been feeling very ill and his tongue looks swollen. Back to my question can there be something that the x-rays can miss (since I can smell it).  Thanks  God Bless/In Christ   Pam Holloway

This discussion is related to Lower right jaw pain & sore throat.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
COMMUNITY LEADER
X-ray does'nt always reveal decay within a crowned tooth.However, careful clinical probing with explorer can detect marginal decay and penetrating through the surface if there is presence of deacy.
Helpful - 0
i would go to the ear nose and throat doctor. throat problems can cause mouth odors too. if its a tooth and it was so badly infected there would probably be pain, swelling, discomfort. antibiotics are not made for long term use. the more you take them the less effective they become so its more difficult (and sometimes impossible) to treat future infections.
Helpful - 0
I wrote this many years ago, and my husband problem was throat cancer. He had it treated and now is cancer free.  Just wanted to update this.  God Bless. In Christ  Pam Holloway
We prayed and believe we got a miracle and went for cancer treatment, he was cancer free by Dec. 2008
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Community