i think i have gingivitis

Just one tooth has a receding gum line. It's not swollen but there is a red line around the base of the tooth and now i can see a little bit of the root. It hurts when i brush my teeth, and it bled the other night. I've read up on it but i'm still not sure whether it's gingivitis or not, the textbook diagnosis is that the gums get swollen, red or purple, prolonged cases result in tooth loss. i'm freaked, i don't want to lose a tooth! anybody have any advice on the matter?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Laura i'm about to do what you did, i'm trusting you.
Helpful - 0
And I posted this twice for good measure. Just because you posted in 2010 and I am now posting in 2015 doesn't mean your word should hold any less validity.
I used to have the same issue. After brushing and flossing faithfully and being in otherwise good health, I'm frustrated to always leave the dentist's with some kind of prescription mouthwash or toothpaste for gingivitis. at age 20 (just a year ago!), I even started to see my gums recede around one tooth. very uncomfortable/disturbing.

I finally found something that has gotten rid of it. I take one of those rubber gum stimulator tools, dip the end in a 1 parts hydrogen peroxide 1 parts water solution and run it along my gumline throughout my whole mouth once a day. I make sure plenty of the solution gets between my gum and my tooth and run the stimulator back and forth like 10 times on my more problematic teeth. I encourage you to try it, I no longer have gingivitis because of this daily habit!! No mouthwash, sonicare toothbrush (even 3 times a day) has gotten rid of it. just this.  
Helpful - 0
The best you can do at this point is brush the area very gently but thoroughly after meals.  Then use your mouthwash, Listerine is best for the gums, getting and keeping them healthy. In the evening rinse your mouth thoroughly with regular hydrogen peroxide, and spit out.  It's foaming action will foam out any food particles between the teeth and gums, only use the Listerine in the am.  If it has already turned to plaque, then only a dentist can remove that.  You can request a cleaning with no xrays, this is a cheaper way to get yout teeth cleaned.  It's best if you start all this after a thorough cleaning by your dentist, but if this isn't possible you can keep it from spreading and getting worse by doing the above.
Helpful - 0
I bought a mouthwash that's said to help with gingivitis. it's stopped the gum line from hurting but i can't tell if it's still receding or not. it turns out most of the pain in my mouth was from several ulcers i developed from worrying about the gingivitis, they're all over my mouth. unfortunately before i bought the mouthwash what gingivitis i did have spread and now i have three affected teeth. i can't get to a dentist just yet, do you think that the mouthwash will get rid of the gingivitis?
Helpful - 0
You do have gingivitis.  You need to go to your dentist for a good cleaning to start with.  Then pay careful attention to how thoroughly you actually brush this area.  You may gain some gum tissue back, if not, a skin graft can be done to secure the tooth with the recessed gum. You're fortunate that you've caught this on only one tooth, but this is another good reason to see your dentist.  You may not be able to see the beginning pockets of gingivitis, but your dentist can.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Community