Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

laser treatment around crown area causing odor

Has anyone had luck with laser dentistry in solving the problem in having an offensive odor around a crown? I had a crown on one of my back teeth several months ago and after placing the dental floss deeper than usual I noticed a very bad odor!!  I went to my dentist and the X-ray showed a dip at the corner in the gum line between the teeth, the "pocket" was about 5 mm while the gum line in in front of that area was about 3mm. Evidently my floss was never reaching the "pocket" and that accounted for the odor.

The dentist realigned the gum area with laser treatment, meaning he smoothed the gum line making debris harder to get into the "pocket". I didn't think this would work but it evidently did because that was 3 days ago and I've flossed deeply around the crown and I'm not detecting a foul odor. I didn't ask a lot of questions about laser treatment but will the next time I go back.

This discussion is related to Smell and pressure coming from Crown gum line.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A Periodontist couldn't help if the pocket is 5mm. I've since gone back to the dentist to have my teeth cleaned and the dept now is just over 3mm since the laser treatment which doesn't make sense to me. My old crown did not have an odor. I think the dentist in preparing the gumline for the new crown went deeper into the gum than he should have and therefore a pocket was done. This tooth is very close to the roots so I'm sure in a few years I'll need a root canal. At that point I'll simply have the tooth extracted and be done with it.
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
Seeing a periodontist is advised.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Community

Top Dental Answerers
taipei, Taiwan
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.