Dental Health Forum

lump on outside gum

A few months ago I had a tooth infection on my lower back molar. I was told I need a root canal and given antibiotics. After the infection cleared up and stopped hurting I forgot about it, with the intention of eventually going back and getting it taken care of. Well now I have a painless lump on the outside gum right below that tooth. It seems to have appeared over night. I thought I felt food in there and noticed it. It feels like a blister but doesn't hurt at all. Is this something I can wait a few days and see if it goes away, I just discovered it. Is this likely an abscess from the infection since its by the same tooth? Thanks
Judging by your description, it is most likely a fistula which is a tract that forms from the abscess of your infected tooth that escapes out to the gums.  As long as the fistula in intact, your abscess can drain and slow down the spread of the abscess but if the fistula closes up, the abscess can spread rapidly through your face or neck area.  

I would recommend seeing a dentist and getting treatment started.  The longer you wait, the more risk you take with an abscess and the lower the success of your treatment as the infection will spread and cause further harm.
Just to add to my post, the reason I didn't get the root canal and am wondering if I can see if this clears up is because I don't have insurance right now. If its gets worse or is still there a week from now I will definatly get it checked regardless. I smoke so any weird lump on my gum bothers me, and if its a abscess I understand that can be bad too, just wondering if this can be something benign or something I need to have looked at right away.
Please beware about gum disease.
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.