nerve pain in tooth

i have a pain in one of my upper back teeth, it feels like a nerve, it started last night and it is severe what would be the cause and treatment of this problem? thanks
I have no clue and I would be guessing.See your dentist asap.
I would recommend having a dentist take a look at it.  It could be anything, and without an exam or xray it would just be a wild guess.  Pain could relate to a dental abscess, grinding habit, cracked tooth, etc.  There are a bunch of things that could be causing it.
thanks for writing back... ill do that , but it has to be nerve or a root problem , ive taken pain killers but still hurts
I had some part of a filling come out in  a back molar and went to refill. Immediately after anes. wore off - that nerve pain you describe. It's been nearly 2 weeks, sedative filling and all; you touch one part of the tooth and youch. Feels like a nerve. So, was a nerve damaged? Root exposed? Dentist said tissue is healthy underneath (aside from the bad decay he refilled). Is root canal my only option?

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Forum

If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.